1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When you realize those college-aged women you're admiring will never notice your existence but don't mind taking a look at your son.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Corollary to that one, when your doctor and dentist announce their retirements and their young replacements take over.

HC likes this.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I covered preps in my hometown for several years up until about 3 years ago. When I started covering the kids of people I went to high school with was quite a rite of passage.

Now some of those same people — including my stepsister, who is two weeks younger than me and got pregnant in high school — are starting to have grandkids.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The checkout clerk at a local thrift store gave me the senior discount, and made sure she told me she gave me the senior discount, without me asking the other day. My wife -- four years younger -- got quite the kick out of that.

Damnit, I'm not old enough to get the senior discount. (Although, I probably am. Just don't like admitting it.)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The moment when I found out my first serious love in college was now a grandmother was pretty intense.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My brother is a grandfather. He's only a year and a half older than me.

His grandson is a year older than my daughter.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem with it, though. When I get a senior discount, it'll make me feel old and I'll like it.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Or, you know, Hee Haw.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My sister last month became the first of our sibling group (there are four of us) to become a grandparent. She is younger than me.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My baby brother has 4 grandkids. He's 46.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OMG, that reminds me of the worst sign yet: When I finally joined the Facebook cult early this year, I looked up my college girlfriend and another girl I had a huge crush on back then. They both look like old ladies now.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My first high school girlfriend looks almost exactly like her mother did when we were going out. Probably shouldn't be all that surprising, but it was jarring the first time I saw a picture of her.

Draft saved Draft deleted