1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about Alfred Morris at work yesterday and I mentioned Mercury Morris and they all looked me and said who?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

High blood pressure.

I'm into about week four of this crap and haven't solved it yet.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Potty training a headstrong, borderline insane toddler. Dear god, I'd pay folding money for someone else to do this.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Moderator1

Folding money! You are OLD and I love it. I used that expression recently and the people I was with looked at me like I was from another planet

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's 'cause all the money the kids use these days is either plastic or virtual.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First, you might be the only people on earth talking about Alfred Morris anymore, other than his immediate family.

Second, I find myself constantly having to explain my various references. Last week I noted that a guy's expression reminded me of the Steve Martin/Bill Murray "What the hell is that?" skit from Saturday Night Live. No one had a clue.

7. Moderator1

It was a trivia question

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Going to the driving range with my 18-year-old son and watching him effortlessly crush the ball, while my old creaky, crackling joints struggle mightily to consistently connect.

Ah, but experience and touch on and around the greens will give me an advantage when we get out on the course. In theory, anyway ...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I got that at work, too, when we had a predominantly millennial crew a couple of years ago. Heading into high school football season with a new sports writer who had never been through it before, I sat him down to try to explain how it all worked. Mainly to emphasize the tight deadline and the need to work fast. I told him that in directing things on Friday nights, I'm like The Wolf in "Pulp Fiction" -- I think fast, I talk fast, and if I'm curt it's because time is a factor.
    He'd never heard of Pulp Fiction and looked at me like I was the dumbest person he'd ever seen.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I took my oldest daughter to a Judah and the Lion concert last night, because when your 16-year-old daughter asks you to take her to a concert...you go. Standing room, three "rows" from the stage, and she and her friend were in front of me. I had set up many concerts back in the day, but I'd never actually been in a pit. Cross one off the Bucket/Murtaugh List.

I made it, but I am hurting today. And my knees are forecasting six inches of snow tonight.

Oh, and Judah and the Lion puts on a good show.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When you begin to like side 2 of Rush's "Moving Pictures" album as much as, if not more than, side 1.

(There's so many "old" things in that statement, some of our younger SJ.comers won't understand it!)

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I did that Sat. with my 17 yr old son; he's hardly played last 2 yrs but he wanted a new driver with a stiff shaft (reg before) and I picked one up on eBay and he was crushing it Sat; great to see. Luckily, I too have better touch right now around greens and can still get it out there pretty good and consistently.

More than anything, great time with my boy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted