1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To clarify, I'm not worried about being the old dad.
    And I don't care if my kids care about me being the old dad.
    It's really just a question of energy level. Young children require a lot of energy of their parents.
    So if you decide to do it, keep that in mind. You may have had a kid before, but it's a different game when your middle aged.

I'd be great at it if I was some kind of landed gentry. If I had the means to parent like a father in some Victorian novel.
    Large mansion in which I can seclude myself most the day from my wife and children. Domestics and a governess to take care of the home and the children.
    Visit with the children, who are well mannered as a result of someone else's hard work, for an hour after dinner, maybe a couple of extra hours on the weekend.
    That's the way to do it.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

dixiehack likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You and your son are about the same age difference as I and my dad... he turned 53 the year I turned 17.

I loved having and older father (mother was more 'normal' age, she's 9 years his junior), so I hope your and Buck's kids appreciate it. I would have been embarrassed by some of my friends' idiot, immature younger fathers.

I don't envy a colleague, who's 60 and has an 8-year-old. I can't imagine being a 70-year-old Dad at high school graduation.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Most of my friends didn't have kids until their early to mid-30s. We had kids when I was 35 and 38 and Mrs. W. was 34 and 37. All good as we were together for 6 years before we got married/had kids and did a bunch of traveling then.

Now, my dad had my two half brothers when he was 56 and 60. That's crazy.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was 40 when our first kid was born, and 42 when the second got here. (And got snipped shortly thereafter.) So, yeah, I'm the old dad at my kids' school. Doesn't bother me a bit. At assemblies and performances, I see lots of (much) younger parents with bad haircuts and poorly-chosen tattoos.

And in my daughter's class, there are twins who are being raised by their grandparents because the parents (I know the mom) have not made good life decisions. And at least we'll never be in that position. By the time our kids are old enough to have kids, we'll be WAY too old to be raising any snot-nosed grandkids!

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was married at 37 and in addition to my wife got a great stepdaughter who I consider my own.

Now at 49 we have a 19 year old, 9 year old and 5 year old.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't see grand children but that's ok.

I partied and did lots of single guy stuff thru my twenties and thirties so don't feel like I will have a mid life crisis.

I love being a Dad and if I was younger I would've loved to have had more kids. My wife who is six years younger was done and I want to be able to have my kids know me when they are adults.

I think that where I am in life I am enjoying my kids more than if I had a family when I was young. That being said maybe I would have changed to the person I am now if I'd had kids earlier.

I dont feel like an old Dad, lots of men who are in their forties have kids my age. Lots of Dads in my generation at school and sports events too.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have largely been on my own since I was 16 and I could not imagine being mature enough for a kid as young as my mom was when she had me and my brother (21 and 25).

Iron_chet likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm glad we had ours when we were older. We had observed enough and were seasoned enough at life to avoid a lot of the learning curve we would've had if we did it in our 20s.

Actually, there's a good chance I would've had kids taken from me if I'd had them in my 20s.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I realized today I'm closer to being eligible for AARP than high school graduation.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There are people entering their 30s who were born after I graduated from high school.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Tutoring college-aged kids and vividly remembering the year they were born. That was 13 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted