1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Was going to download a $1.99 app the other day.

Got prompted for my apple password. Forgot it. Tried to remember it, failed.

Then realized I completely forgot what I wanted to purchase. Irked.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe stronger than irked but:
    Everyone thinks they have good taste in music. And most people do not.

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

When people begin following the band that's been one of your favorites for years and start telling you about said band as though you've never heard of it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even though it's unavoidable in a lot of gyms, people who walk along the sidelines and baselines during high school basketball games when the ball is in play annoy me for some reason. Even more so when they do it on the side with the benches and the scorer's table.
    And then yesterday I saw a guy do this under circumstances so ridiculous I almost had to applaud.
    I'm sitting at the scorer's table and the ball is in play on the side of the court to my right, which also faces the gym entrance. Team A is running a half-court set. This guy comes walking in front of Team A's bench, carrying a tray of nachos, right past the coach and about six feet onto the court while the ball is in play. If the coach had gone that far onto the floor she would have gotten a technical.
    Amazingly, no one seemed to notice this. The refs never blew the whistle, the coach never seemed to notice, all of the players somehow avoided him, and Nacho Guy had a look on his face that gave less than zero fucks. A couple of people sitting behind me did see it, and we just looked at each other like, "Did that just happen?"
    One of the more bizarre things I've seen at a basketball game in a while, for sure.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Well, damn, you should have been at the place I used to work. Shitty, small gym, completely inadequate for the level of basketball being played. Only way to get to your seat was to walk along the sideline on either side. Relatively prominent mid-major came in to play an OOC game. Midway through the first half, random fan dude walks in front of the visitors' bench while play is going on, leans over, and tries to shake hands with Coach Guestguy. Said coach yells, "Get this crazy fucker's hands off me right now!"

Don't think that school will ever schedule another visit.

Batman likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I covered a school that played it's games in a multipurpose room. It was the cafeteria and amphitheater and gym all in one. The room was set up for both basketball and a theater. They had a row of lights hanging from the ceiling that happened to be less than 15 feet from the floor. Whenever someone took a 3 there was a very real chance the ball would hit the lights. Nothing could be done but shake your head.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

One more old college hoops story. Another place I worked was playing a road game in the Twin Cities at some tiny church school that used an old metal building for a gym. Apparently they were in the habit of leaving a couple doors open for airflow, and during the game, through one of these doors wandered one of the mangiest-looking dogs you can imagine. It meandered around the gym and then made a beeline for our head coach. He had a volcanic temper at the best of times, and when "Pooch Richardson" started nipping at his pants leg, he lost it and took a kick at the mutt. He missed on the first swing, but connected with the dog's ass on try number two.

After the game, the host coach came over and apologized, but said he had been waiting a long time for someone to nail that little bastard. The dog's owner? Yep, the school's president.

You can't beat D3 for bizarre sports stories.

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Ticketmaster fees.

Went to buy tickets to see the Eagles, Doobies and Zac Brown band in San Diego. Tickets are priced at $95 but add up to $125 each after the fees. Just give me the total price up front, don't nickel and dime me down the road.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once bought tickets at the gate and was charged a "convenience fee." It might be that it is easier to have the promoter's cut, facility fee, etc. be extra so the performer isn't getting scammed, I don't know.

How come those FCC Emergency warning tests never come over the TV right in the middle of a crucial point in a game, like they seem to do when I'm listening on the radio?

And no. 1 on my list will always be people who announce scores with the lower score first. Fingernails on the chalkboard.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just watched the French series "La Mante" on Netflix. In the 4th episode a lot of the action takes place at the opera during a performance of "Tosca". Lots of drama backstage while the singers are performing the big scene with Tosca and Scarpia which ends with her stabbing him. Then, as the action continues the soprano breaks into the aria "Voi lo sapete" from a completely different opera by a completely different composer. Why the fuck would you do that??????

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I paid $124.50 for 99-buck tickets to see the Foo Fighters.
    Just charge me $125 for the damn ticket. Add in your fees FIRST.

Went to buy tickets to see the Caps play Thursday. Found two good ones, 35 bucks each. Total? 97.50 - so I said screw it just on principal. I would have paid 50 bucks each so just tell me that up front.

MTM likes this.
  12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ticketmaster must be in cahoots with the cruise industry, which advertises something for $799. Eventually you'll find out about the $250 in taxes and port fees, then the $25-a-day service charge they put on every room.

Draft saved Draft deleted