1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And then they either have you put your name down on some card they hang up like ha! we got another sucker! or they ring a bell or make some other announcement so everyone knows you donated. Look you guilted me into it can we just let it go? You are just doing it to guilt everyone standing in line. Hey this nice guy donated money to educate some one armed kid suffering from cancer of the nose, you better not say no when you get up here!

expendable likes this.
  3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Airline passengers with carry-ons who check through every zipped-up pocket before putting it in the overhead bin. Just reach your seat and put the damn thing in the bin. Same thing when leaving. Shouldn't take a minute to leave your seat and get your bag.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's your basis for that claim? A loss takes away a half game in the standings, so the difference in the result of each game is 1 game. That's why people say the result of a game between teams close in the standings is a two game swing.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's the worst when leaving, as they stand in the aisle and block people who have been sitting for hours and might need to make a connecting flight.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This will not impact well at all ...

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Iron_chet and QYFW like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The cherry on top is that some of these charities border on absolute bullshit.

OTL: Top athlete charities lacking

Next time you wanna feel sorry for Lamar Odom:

In 2004, Odom founded Cathy's Kids, named after his mother who the NBA forward says died from cancer. But eight years of tax records reveal that Cathy's Kids never gave any grant money to cancer-related causes and that the charity primarily existed to finance two elite youth basketball travel teams. Of the $2.2 million raised by the charity, at least 60 percent -- $1.3 million -- went to those AAU teams.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Among my irks:

>>People (usually millennials) who name-drop people in a conversation without giving any label for them.

"So Jack's your friend?"

"Cousin."

"Oh, and who's Jill?"

"Co-worker."

>>People who desire to "relate" to whatever you just said, instead of asking a second question, even when it's clear that what their "situation" had nothing to do with yours, or it wasn't even their situation. They just wanted to "relate" because it was a way of getting possession of the conversation.

>>The guy who always does something because "somebody had to do it," and then tries to lay a subtle guilt trip on others - but never really asked anybody else to do it. Indeed, others may not even have known.

>>Inner circles among a group of equals. Often needless and almost always hurtful. I've seen two such scenarios in the last year really create wounds in our church. Neither inner circle was intentional, per se, but they were thoughtless, constructed by folks who had no particular reason to do so other than friendship and convenience. Always fun to sit in that meeting and hear a person, near the top of their lungs, yell at another person: Again! You know something I didn't know again!

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever want to see the bullshit spew like the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral, try to press someone when they say some event is for "charity."

"Oh? What charities? United Way? Habitat for Humanity"
    "Yeah. Charity."
    "Any specific ones?"
    "Well, we haven't picked one yet, but all the money will go to charity."
    "What causes are you trying to help? Cancer research? Homelessness?"
    "Yeah."
    "Which one?"
    "What?"
    "Which causes?"
    "Yeah, you know, charity."

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The people I run into usually have a source charity, but they don't really know how much of the money raised at an event goes to the charity.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The NBA rule of calling a timeout in the last two minutes and getting to move the ball to the front court. You get one or the other. If you want to move it up, you inbound immediately. If you want the timeout, then you take it out from the baseline.

Drivers who don't acknowledge with a wave of thanks when they let you merge in or wait for you to pass on a narrow street lined with parked vehicles.

The cigarette flickers actually piss me off. As do slow golfers.

Tweener, Bronco77 and QYFW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted