1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree. I like the beep.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

IMG_3563.PNG Why do so many news stories now summarize people's tweets and then run a picture of the tweet below it? You just told us exactly how it read. Why must we read it again? Is there some sense that people won't believe it without visual proof? And yet they only do this with tweets. You don't see someone quoted from an audio and then an embed of the audio or a video of someone saying what had just been quoted. I don't get this practice. It's unnecessarily repetitive.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I should have been more specific about the fob/honk dynamic. I have a car with old-fashioned keys. I'm not the guy pressing the fob.

I'm the guy who hears the result of someone else pressing it at 3 a.m., or just as I am walking past their car, so it startles me.

I get that the Fob People find it reassuring. They're still weirdos, though. Nice ones, perhaps, but weird. :D

Justin_Rice, SpeedTchr and Vombatus like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably for the benefit of those with Twitter blocked at work. Still clunky AF though.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I get freaked by people walking by talking to themselves, and then realize the person is using a Bluetooth earphone/mic piece.

The first few times I experienced that about ten years ago, I found it disturbing. I thought people were insane.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Roger.
    The Model T crowd doesn't like the beeping.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Now there's a car with a hell of a horn. Probably is featured in The Waltons.

I bet there is an app that has that sound. Ahh-WOOOO-gah is the best approximation I have for it.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Inspired by many threads around here: People who use acronyms that I can't figure out. Stop it, please!:)

OscarMadison, Vombatus and SnarkShark like this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Proof of attribution? Creative use of white space?:)

Just possible suggestions. I sometimes have wondered about this, as well.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Reporting on tweets in general.
    A tweet is now news?

I'm not anti-Twitter. If you dig it, great. I'm not really into it.

We went through a time when we were watching 'Talking Dead' after 'The Walking Dead.' We were really into TWD at the time, and the after-show was interesting briefly.
    One of the segments was fan tweets about the show.
    And I would say: 'If I wanted to know what people were tweeting about TWD, I'd be on Twitter.'

jlee and SpeedTchr like this.
  11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

A!MEN!!

Why should I watch news or read a newspaper if they are just presenting tweets or Facebook posts?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Twitter is just the platform from which a statement is distributed. Is it somehow better or more officially delivered on PR Newsire?

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted