1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I heard it was a hoedown.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When you are at an intersection behind one car and need to make a right on the red, but the car in front of you is going straight, and doesn't leave you enough room to get around him. Ugh.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That sucks but people who can't read lane makers piss me off. People who sit in a straight lane waiting for the turn light to go green or who are in a turn lane and go forward are jerks.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

... or the fucker in front of you who has his signal on, but refuses to turn right on red.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think the Geneva Convention would have allowed you to pick your gift up off the table and beat feet.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you think dentists are so different from us?
    They came to this country with a dream, just like anybody else.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When someone is identified as a veteran when it isn't key to a story.

We ran something the other day about a hit-and-run and mentioned the victim is a veteran, like it is much worse than if the hit-and-run injured a plumber. Same if there is a random break-in, and the victim is identified as a veteran. Neither were targeted because of their service and we have a lot of seniors around here, so most of the men are veterans.

I respect most who served, but adding that is only to elicit sympathy.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

During the last round of political commercials, some guy ran an ad touting that he was a veteran, blah blah blah, and a grandfather. Still don't know what that had to do with anything. He spawned, and his spawn spawned. That's all that proved.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, the stories about some horrific multiple-fatality incident that go out of their way to mention that some of the dead were children. The latest one I heard was the apartment fire in London. One of the TV stories included the line, "... and the death toll is up to 60. That includes four small children."
    So the other 56, I guess they'd had a good run and it's not as big a tragedy?

expendable likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Children dying IS a bigger tragedy than adults dying.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I get the issue here.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In a one-to-one comparison, I can go with that. When you have mass casualty/fatality situations like the apartment fire or a bombing in the Middle East (the other time it seems to be brought up regularly) singling out the kids seems to downplay the tragedy of the other deaths. The number of which is often in double digits.
    Apparently, however, your mileage may vary.

Draft saved Draft deleted