1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

One of the stand-up comics (cannot recall which one) said that you need to be careful deciding on whom you will vote for based on lawn signs. He said that he almost voted for a real estate agent once...

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that the principle extends even further: If you broadcast a label for yourself, people are going to make instant assumptions about you. That’s true for political signs, bumper stickers or even a t-shirt.

Put a fish symbol or a Darwin symbol or a marijuana leaf or a eagle/American flag or a Browning deer or a piece sign on the back or your car and folks will think that you have opinions or traits that extend beyond whichever icon you tag yourself with.

I don’t really want to folks to think that they have some sort of shorthand understanding of who and what I am before I have a chance to have a discussion about it.

Heck, I’m these parts, even logos for the state’s universities carry their own package of assumptions. I’m not from here, so folks are baffled by my Ohio Bobcat. “I thought you was the Buckeyes.”

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I thought Ohio State was red? Indeed. I said 'O-hi-ooooooh '

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

All the millions and millions of *undecided* voters we hear so much about.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

People who interject abortion into every single discussion. There are other issues fuckwads.

6. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

This is true.
    I live in a town of about 13,000, with about 6,000 registered voters. I attend every city council meeting and so I know how uninvolved the community is. (There's no newspaper and city meetings are not televised.) For a council election last year, there were about 3,000 votes cast and I said to myself, "People have to be voting based on the signs they see around town. 99.99 percent of people couldn't have identified either candidate in a lineup of three people."

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I thought about this one last night.

When an animal is resting very nice and comfortably, and somebody comes and fucks with it, thereby causing it to leave.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A Ford Bronco with a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.

9. Oggiedoggie

The Garmin website has been brought down by hackers and my watch can’t send or receive any data, so I’m just going to sit here and not take any steps.

I mean, what’s the point if they don’t count.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Why do you willingly give your location data to a company that -- as we are seeing, in real time -- will lose it?

11. Oggiedoggie

My life is an open book that no one wants to read.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Data-aggregating and advertising companies are happy to read, resell and profit off your book.

Draft saved Draft deleted