1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear about the death of former NHL goalie Ray Emery but I’ve seen a couple headlines stating he “passed away.” He drowned, that’s not passing away, that is dying.

People with an illness pass away, old people pass away of natural causes. People killed in accidents die.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Even people who pass away ... well, in news reports, they die.

expendable, I Should Coco and MTM like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Pass away" is up there with "died suddenly" in the nails-on-chalkboard department.

We let those go in obits (the family's paying for those), but I've had to wield the cranky copy editor ax on pass away and died suddenly in stories. Also (referring to Ray Emery's death) "died by drowning." I believe death is implied when you say someone drowned.

4. Slacker

" ... was called home to rest in the loving arms of her Lord and Savior" is one of my obit irkfavorites.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

“Ended his/her Earthly duties.”

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"Expired"

WTH, was there a "Best By" date stamped on his ass?

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Slacker

Check the taint. My friend said.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"Yep, he's expired," were the most chilling words I've ever or ever will hear.

That's what the EMT matter-of-factly said when they arrived the morning my father died when I was 12.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When the maintenance crew replaces a roll of toilet paper in our office, they don't get it started, making it difficult on the first pooper. They must use super glue on those things before encasing them in the large plastic holder because the user must scratch and tear and yank on the roll, getting thin strips and pulling off like 3 feet before it rolls off properly.

The floor ends up looking like a pack of squirrels attacked the TP.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

HH, ouch, I’m very sure that has lingered. Damn. Feel for you, man.

11. Slacker

That's actually a gentle way to tell someone a family member is dead, don't you think?

It's a tough moment for responders, too. Like funeral home employees, they avoid saying "he's dead" outright.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Though, if you’ve never heard it put that way before, it could be quite jarring.

I’d think “He’s gone” might be softer and less clinical.

Draft saved Draft deleted