1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's quietly known that BB&B honors its expired coupons. Like, never turns them down.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

CVS' coupons we're like that until a few years ago. After buying a bunch of shampoo, say, you would get a coupon for shampoo that expired in three days.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Plus they will let you use multiple coupons. So you can use a 20 perecent off one item and a $5 off $25 spent in the same transaction.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jehovah's Witness at the door who pressed on after I twice said that I was Catholic.
    I appreciate that door-to-door evangelism is part of their thing.
    But if someone told me they don't drink and I kept encouraging the person to have a beer I would expect to be thought an asshole.

Tweener and Vombatus like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Reminds me if another irk: When I buy Brand X cat litter, I invariably get a coupon for . . . Brand Z cat litter.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two-ply TP that doesn't have the perforations lined up together so you rip off a square and you're left with a flap of single ply

expendable and Vombatus like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Major irk: Junk mail that comes in a deceptive envelope designed to make you think it's from your bank or IRS.

That reminds me - got to fill out the jury summons. That one wasn’t fake. What if you ignore it?

8. Vombatus

I accidentally did that to a Morman when I was much younger. Probably asked him FIVE times if he wanted a beer. (He was my van driver and gone out of his way to haul me to various places). And this was in Utah.

Later on, I learned offering him a Coke would have been just as bad.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Did the van driver tell you that he didn't drink or just say "No thanks" to the offer of a beer? Just out of curiosity.

10. Vombatus

It was a repeated “No thanks”.

I had no, zero clue. It was my first real observation of major regional cultural differences within the US. Was also my second ever airline trip.

My first flight was a week before, to Boston. I didn’t consider that a major cultural difference aside from them being assholes and talking funny.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Interesting the assumptions we make - you that he just didn't want a drink at that time and him that you would understand that he was a Mormon and therefore didn't drink.

I find "No thanks, I don't drink" shuts things down fast.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Exactly!

One of the most interesting things in life is our communication. I find the more specific you are, the more you’ll be understood. And not have something screw up.

There is a limit though - you have to understand when you might be overdoing it and/or talking down to someone.

Nothing is simple. Argh!

Draft saved Draft deleted