1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that bug sports journalists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've learned to deal with this because I get it, seeing your kid get interviewed by the local paper is a big deal to parents, but does anyone else get a little weirded out by getting your picture take/videoed while conducting an interview? As someone who loves taking photos rather than having a photo taken, it took me a little bit to get comfortable with that happening.

KYSportsWriter and SFIND like this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Shit, this reminds me of a time about 25 years ago when the NBA team I covered played the Celtics in Hartford. The arena is connected to a mall, which was connected to the hotel I was staying in. So i was able to walk to the game all indoors. Unfortunately, trying to go back to the hotel through the mall put me into a stairway where I was locked in, with the doors chained. The only thing that kept me from spending the night locked in the stairway was that I pulled the chain-locked door open just enough to catch someone who happened to be walking by.

Ace likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm the same. What also irritates me is the people who have phones with flashes the light up for the video. The things are like high-power lasers, and they don't do crap when everything is already well-lit by stadium lights.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to go out on a limb with the description, 3_Octave_Nostradomus!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Happens 50 percent of the time.

Or they say it's fine to work in the press box afterward, then the AD/janitor/booster club president is pacing and griping 10 minutes after the game is over.

SFIND likes this.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. They shouldn't even call them "press" boxes at high school fields. They're only there for the coaches and announcers. Whatever use the media might get out of it is a very, very minor concern.

Tweener likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Soap.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Ace-
    I specified it because I don't believe the fat sports-journo stereotype is accurate.
    There are the same proportion of slobs in journalism as other businesses in which I've worked.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In reference to 3_O_F's post ... Burrito supremes that aren't wrapped properly, and leak all over your shirt as you're driving to the game.

Mr. Sunshine and Songbird like this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can you wipe the refried beans off your stat sheet so I can get caught up, Coco?

Tweener and I Should Coco like this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This happened to me a few times. Had to jump the fences with my computer bag dangling from my arm.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

You can get locked in at college stadiums, too. Happened to me at Wofford, Presbyterian and Samford -- maybe one or two others. Life in the FCS, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted