1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that bug sports journalists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. If you are new, do not trust the stats crew to get accurate stats -- or any stats. A few schools may have great stat crews. The rest are a real crapshoot. Many coaches take the stats off the game film.

Many, many times I ahve asked to see the stats after the game (just to compare or add a stat I wasn't keeping, like tackles), the kids doing them had given up or bolted.

2. Hard working news crews making deadline on election night.
    #freepizza

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pre-2015: Parents. "Why is my son/daughter/future college superstar's picture never in the paper?"

2015: Sportswriters. Help get my varsity football player and swimmer scholarships, dammit! ;)

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's my rule of thumb also. It just makes me look bad when a kid is approaching a rushing record and I have him at one spot but the homer stats guys have him closer to the record and that is what is reported to the big metro.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How was your experience in news different from that in sports? Were you able to do your job without much effort?

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Homecoming.

Always fun arriving at a site and seeing sports cars or floats in the end zone and knowing halftime will take 30 minutes.

KYSportsWriter, SFIND and Ace like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the "election night pizza!!!1!1!" group has great crossover with the group that gets offended if a non-journo suggests that a press-box seat on the 50-yard line and a nice pregame buffet (plus halftime snack) sounds pretty cushy.

SFIND and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Sports journalists who contend every night is like election night, and where's their f---ing pizza!

Killick likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Election Night Pizza would only bother me if Sports couldn't partake -- and get seconds. That was was never a problem at my stops.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I used to love the asshole who would arrive way late to a game and ask to look at your stat sheet to catch up.
    Usually fat, sloppy and poorly dressed.

Tweener, Ace and SFIND like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Late in the baseball season on road trips, the first time it's dark outside when you get the wake-up call to make an early flight.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

When someone tells you it's okay to work in the press box after the game, we'll leave the gate open, just close it when you leave, etc. and then lock it and lock you in the stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted