1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Annoy You

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Nov 10, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Suck-Parking-Offensive-Business-Cards/dp/B00APL66WA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384356635&sr=8-3&keywords=bad+parking

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Such as people who take what happens on this site as a matter of life or death?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Unnecessary capitalization, especially in press releases.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've been on this joint for a long time and don't have a "Top 10 moments", nor do I know that many people's real identities. Yet the sun comes up in the morning.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone pay for anything by check in a checkout line. Instead of being annoyed, I'd probably think, "How quaint."

And really, does it take that much longer? Just use the extra 60 seconds to thumb through a magazine or pick up some Tic-Tacs.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone paying by check is way less annoying than someone who doesn't know how to use the credit-card swiper.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If it burns your ass so much, just hop on your iPhone while I am writing my check.
    Take a 'selfie' in front of the candy bar rack.
    Direct to Instagram.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

People who get irrationally unhinged when they see a Prius. I drive a Prius. Not to make a statement. Not because I give a shit about the environment. And I do not festoon it with Cambridge hippie bumper stickers. I only drive it because I have a long-ass commute and I don't want all my beer money going to pay for gas just so I can project a tough-guy image in a pickup truck. And I have experienced other drivers getting much more aggressive around me, tailgating me and cutting me off, even when I'm going well above the speed limit, which I usually am. This does not happen when I'm in my other vehicle (an SUV). I honestly don't particularly like driving a Prius -- it's boring to drive and I don't like the feel of it. And I really don't like the look of it. But it's extremely reliable, never needs to be fixed and saves me a hell of a lot of money (I didn't buy it new). But what I really hate is the stereotyping by other drivers which I am convinced has almost caused me accidents multiple times. It's like it has some bizarre psychological effect on all the overcompensating assholes out there.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Aren't used Priuses really expensive compared to other used cars?

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Not really. I got a certified pre-owned Prius with only 13k miles on it. It was comparable in price to other cars I looked at for a more fuel-efficient commute, like a certified Mazda 3 and a brand new Honda Fit. But then you take into account the fact that in the last three years I haven't had to do anything to it other than scheduled maintenance, while I've heard from Mazda owners that their cars are constantly in the shop. And I'm spending literally half of what I was spending on gas before. On a weekly cashflow basis, that matters. And at about 15 more mpg than either the Mazda3 or the Fit, it's turned out to be more economical.

Edit: I still don't love the car. But it was a good choice for my primary need -- reliability and fuel efficiency. That said, I'm probably not going to keep it much longer -- we need something with a 3rd row. But whether I like it or not is irrelevant to the way other drivers react to it.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Quick off-topic comment.....I own a Mazda3 and love it. Only time I've had it in the shop is when some dipshit at the dealership changed the oil and forgot to replace the cap. Other than that, it's been a great, great car. My wife owned one for a couple years and also had no trouble with it. And my gas mileage is fine. But definitely not as good as the Prius.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

In fairness, it wasn't Mazda3 owners who told me they had to be fixed a lot. It was people who owned other models. but they told me to avoid Mazdas. But every time I see a Mazda3 on the road, I get a little bit of buyer's remorse. It was a hell of a fun test drive and I love the styling of the hatchbacks (I hate sedans in general, so I was specifically looking for a hatch. With kids needing to get in and out of the back, a coupe of any kind wasn't an option).

Draft saved Draft deleted