1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Annoy You

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Nov 10, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oblivious asshats driving 50 on the freeway in the second lane from the left.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I hate the word "suspect" has become the term "person of interest."

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Bingo. I was reminded of this today as I was finishing my shopping for Thanksgiving. It's laziness, nothing more, nothing less.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

College football. The lot of it.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The constant griping about officiating.
    The use of more and more replay as part of officiating in every sport. It doesn't seem to have alleviated anybody's dissatisfaction with officiating.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That Hollywood is going to remake Roadhouse.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If an official does something blatantly wrong that affects the outcome of a game, then getting on them is fair. But I agree, criticizing a ref for a call against your team or not calling something borderline against another is pretty bull.

I will throw in the caveat (especially in the case of recent NFL calls/noncalls) that the official or the league better be willing to admit there was a mistake.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Missed calls have always been part of the game. It happens. The griping over the past 10 years has become insane.
    It is nonstop. Fans complain, columnists complain, broadcasters complain. Enough already.

And this dissatisfaction with officiating is what sports media is using to drive more inclusion of instant replay in officiating.

But it's not making people more satisfied with the officiating. Calls still get missed, even with replay, and people are still obsessed with officiating.

It's become nauseating.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I get more annoyed by the "your team didn't play anyone good" argument.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except in tennis, where it works perfectly (foot faults and balls being threatened to be shoved down linespeople's fucking throats notwithstanding).

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Officiating is an athletic endeavor just as playing is. Players blow plays, and officials blow calls because the physical universe is imperfect. If they blow too many, fire 'em. Bitching at blown calls doesn't bother me. Hell, I've listened to Tommy Heinsohn for 30 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted