1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things not to do in Orlando

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Sep 9, 2009.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

If you're idea of a vacation is spending a week at Universal Studios and shopping at outlet malls and Ikea, then you deserve everything you get

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now I know why some people get their sh*t all tied up here when people use this place as Dear Abby. It's like they don't even read the thread that they started.

And I wouldn't go to an IKEA on vacation if they were handing out $20s at the door.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In fairness, I wanted the rental car, but she overruled me.
    Indeed, the only time we have needed it was the first night, after that, the I-ride trolley has been getting us where we need to go.
    As for the Ikea, my Podunkville doesn't have a store and she wanted to go.
    Also of note: The Dr. Doom ride, crushed her boobs. To the point of she didn't up, they have this test seat and she tried it out. It was a no go.
    Lots of Europeans here, I said more than half the crowd has been international tourists.
    And I haven't seen a Bennigan's. Now, if you had said TGI Friday's, that would have been a hell yes. One on every corner.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Trying to add the missing word on my own is producing some disturbing results.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I didn't even go to an Ikea when I went to Sweden. And I've never been to one, either.

You really expect a minimum-wage-earning clerk to know how much a cab costs to get from point A to point B?

And yeah, outlet malls are a ripoff. That's not news, though.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Do you at least have a street map?

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

TTIUWP

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Bennigan's is out of business now. ;)

And I didn't mean Bennigans, literally. It's just that type of town ... a series of mediocre chain restaurants, speckled in between the strip malls.

It's not a bad city. It's just that, for the most part, I can get the same effect by driving out to the suburbs of the city that I live in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

There's still a Bennigan's in Tampa's Channelside district. Not sure why, because every other one I know of is gone. But your point is taken. I liked to visit Orlando when my sister lived there, but I would never live (or spend more than a few days) there. Like you say, just chains, outlet malls and theme parks. And the traffic is brutal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted