1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things in sports you are just plain tired of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

People who complain about things in sports they're just plain tired of

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Crowd reaction shots. So people are tense because they're watching a close game. I know this because I'm tensely watching the very same close game on your broadcast. No picture needed. How about a shot of, oh, I don't know, the shortstop or some other marginal figure.
    Also, shots of celebrities or network executives should lead directly to just plain shot directors.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Announcing NBA line-ups for run-of-the-mill regular season games like its the Apocalypse. It's even worse for All-Star Games.

Hey NBA, there is a reason that the NFL, the MLB and hockey haven't followed your lead. It's lame.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Has Brett Favre been mentioned yet?

Championship merchandise for winning a non-championship playoff series (i.e. the ALDS, the NFL wild Card, etc)

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Brett Favre.

LeBron James and will he or won't he go to NY saga.

Major League Baseball and steroids.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Tim McCarver, making the same point repeatedly -- often in the same sentence.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yes! It's amazing watching an older game on ESPN Classic or MLB Network. Hardly any crowd shots. Another reason I hate the crowd shot is they don't go back until the pitcher's almost done with his windup and the ball's all but out of his hand. Show me the whole windup damn it. if Tiant played today, no one would know there was anything funky about his delivery.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Glorifying lame parades like today's Yankees celebration. It couldn't have looked more dull from the ESPN highlights.

Fouls on Dwayne Wade.

Anything involving the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Analysts regurgitating all sorts of shit. Like the word "parity" in football two years ago.

Dallas Cowboys coverage.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, FOOTBALL RECRUITING coverage.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I actually didn't mind FOX squeezing in ads between pitches or batters if it saved us a shot of someone with their arms clasped or holding a We Believe sign.

And I'll see your parade coverage and raise you the trophy presentation/interview procession. (Stanley Cup excepted).

At first I thought it was refreshing seeing players receive the trophy in front of the fans instead of the locker room (still do), but the way the presentation is drawn out and the players are walked up one at a time to be asked inane questions - its like "when did the Oprah show start?" (Tennis's presentations are even worse, part Oprah, part Academy Awards speech).

Give me the way regular season trophies are presented in college football - the winning team just goes over to the sideline and grabs the thing than runs over to its fans to celebrate.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Reaction shots of Jeter in the dugout

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Bowl Championship Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted