1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things in movies that really bug you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What drives me crazy is when people make plans and they never say what time. Like a man will ask out a woman and say, "OK, see you tonight." What time? Where are they meeting? Who's driving?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

When the ten bad guys loaded with automatic rifles and machine guns can't hit the good guy with one freaking bullet when unloading on him from 30 yards away, but then good guy pulls out a pistol and nails all ten with just 10 shots, the last one drilling its target in a speeding car 800 yards away right between the eyes.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I know a punch doesn't sound like two colliding frozen steaks, but I've always wondered if tires really do squeal on dirt or gravel like in the movies.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

When you pull a sword out of its sheath, it doesn't make a metallic scraping sound because a sheath is generally leather. The scraping sound is put in because that's what movie audiences expect.

There are a lot of sounds put in that don't occur in real life.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Every time someone goes to a movie, they don't go to a movie, they go to some snooty retrospective of some foreign director. I've never been to a retrospective, nor have I ever heard of a theater near me hosting a retrospective. What gives?

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

According to Wikipedia -- so you know it must be accurate -- FedEx didn't pay a dime.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In "Speed", early in the movie when they're racing down the freeway and trying not to get the bus blown up, the bus must smash into 30 or 40 cars. That begs two questions:
    1) How does the bus hit all of that metal and glass, going over 50 mph, and not either blow a tire or suffer any significant damage that would cause it to slow down? I mean, if you hit something that hard, the shock is going to pull your foot off the gas for a minute, right?
    2) It's great and noble that they're trying to save the lives of 20 or 30 people on the bus. But out of all those cars that get hammered, how many people suffered serious injuries? You get rear-ended by a bus going 50+ mph, you're getting pretty fucked up, if not killed. And, of course, the massive amount of property damage and future lawsuits from the whole incident has got to be off the charts.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Oh c'mon! Every action movie is riff with potential lawsuits, and that's what makes it fun.

If we were to expect reality in those things, "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon" would have been over in like five minutes after the opening credits because a. cops get suspended as soon as they discharge their weapon/shoot someone or b. the viewer would be bored to tears by the amount of paperwork police work actually entails.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There was a fun article once about how the Home Alone bandits would have been critically injured 20 times over if they had actually taken the falls and gotten hit by the stuff they did.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But it's a cartoon! ;)

I hate the expectation that something's safe for kids cause it involves animation or cartoon action. Idiots.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Or how about the unrealistic sex scenes?

You see two people get it on, it's all hot and sweaty and yet, no one farts or burps, there's no awkwardness in switching positions and afterwards, they just cuddle instead of one (if not both) people going to get a towel to clean up. I'm sorry, but that's some unrealistic crap.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

That's awesome. Probably good enough for it's own thread. I'd like to see a Top 10 list.

Draft saved Draft deleted