1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things in movies that really bug you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I crawled into bed around 1:30 last night and Robocop was on Encore. It'd been a good 10 years since I'd seen it, so it made for a nice late-night screening. Unfortunately, as the movie went on, I noticed something I hadn't before -- namely, how in the hell does Robocop reload his gun?
    It doesn't look like anything more than a souped-up handgun. I can buy that he has some sort of reloading mechanism in his armor when he holsters the gun in his leg, but at several points in the movie he fires off about 100 rounds without reloading. The gun shouldn't hold more than 20 or 30 rounds, at the most. Maybe 50, if it's some sort of new, prototype gun, but he's shooting off three rounds at a time. He should be out of ammo in about 10 seconds.
    I still enjoyed the movie, but this is really bugging me. What are some other relatively minor things in movies that make you go, "Huh? WTF?"

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And how does The Hulk get so big that all his clothes come off except his pants??

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Product. Placement.

(most notably, in Tom Hanks' most-recent 937 pictures).

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The damn plot[/xratedmoviefans]

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Trailers that give away the movie so I don't even have to get bugged by them.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Ben Stiller.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whenever that subject is brought up, I always remember "Return of the Killer Tomatoes". About halfway through the movie, they break the fourth wall and the producers, directors, etc. come on camera to tell the actors they ran out of money and filming is being shut down. After a quick discussion on how to raise more, they come up with the idea of product placement.
    The next minute or so is a series of blatantly obvious plugs for things like Pepsi, where the actors carefully drink a soda in front of the camera and say things like, "Wow! What a refreshing drink! I'm glad I got a Pepsi!"
    Pretty funny stuff.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Actors playing athletes who cannot throw, catch or hit like a human being above the age of four.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

My pet peeve has always been the scene where one guy has a gun aimed at the other guy, there's lines and lines of dramatic dialogue between them, and then -- and only then -- the gunman cocks the gun, or pulls back the hammer, or whatever you call it.

Yeah, yeah, we get it -- the tension has just been ratcheted up. But it's like they're saying the guy was pointing a useless gun until he cocked it.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

See: Cruise, Tom, "War of the Worlds."

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

When movies are ruined by producers who think viewers need a "happy ending."

Draft saved Draft deleted