1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I probably shouldn't say out loud: I like Darius Rucker's country music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, May 2, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't be the only one on the board. (I hope.)

Above and beyond the fact that I *dig* his voice, I like that a guy had success in pop last decade, had the success dry up on him, then went another direction and has succeeded.

Pardon me if, as a newspaper employee, I find hope in that.

Anyway, an interview with Darius Rucker from EW.com:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/darius-rucker-t.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Things I probably shouldn't say out loud: I like Darius Rucker's country mus

Dave Matthews disagrees. So does Ben Harper (well, OK, he sits part of the time) and Jack Johnson.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I haven't looked at the numbers, but is Dave Matthews doing anything close, saleswise, today as he did in the late 1990s?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hope not.

5. Inky_Wretch

Re: Things I probably shouldn't say out loud: I like Darius Rucker's country mus

Not sure about album or iTunes sales. But judging from concerts I've been to, he's doing just fine. But even if he's only doing half the business he was in the 90s, he ain't hurting.

Hootie needs to figure out if he wants to be a singer/songwriter or a superstar. I think he was really saying that he can't make as much money doing pop as he can doing country.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I like Darius Rucker's country stuff too.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm not a big fan of his stuff, but I saw him at the REM tribute concert I went to and he had a good stage presence. He might not have had the talent of people like Rhett Miller or Glen Hansard who were also there, but his on-stage charisma made him enjoyable.

8. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Went to see Hootie at Chastain Park in Atlanta last summer with my wife. They still put on a great show, and Darius' couple country songs that he did were excellent live. Those guys still work it, almost 15 years later.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Jack Johnson is NOT rock. Don't insult the rock genre by lumping Johnson's tripe in with it.

10. Inky_Wretch

One man's tripe is another man's feast.

I don't think Johnson is rock either. But he's certainly doing OK as a singer/songwriter without going to country, as Mr. Blowfish suggests.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dave Grohl disagrees.

So does the guy from Bloc Party.

And The Hold Steady.

And Built to Spill.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Love Hootie and the Blowfish and love Rucker's country album.

Draft saved Draft deleted