1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I Learned this Christmas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 26, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Having not seen the Nutcracker before I watched in on PBS this afternoon, I hadn't really missed anything.

The Pope really doesn't give an inspiring homily.

I prefer to watch a replay of a Big 10 or NFL football game from weeks ago over a live NBA game. C'mon we need football on Christmas!

Sasha Cohen might make me a fan of figure skating yet and Clay Aiken has put on some pounds.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Did he do Borat on Ice? :)

And I assume His Holiness did his thing from St. Peter's for Christmas. I was just there, and that has got to be the most amazing building in the history of civilization. I mean, the pyramids or Hooters might be in the neighborhood, but St. Pete's is staggering.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Next year should be your/our year. Christmas is on a Thursday and week 17 is that weekend. There's got to be at least two games...one at 4 on one of the regular networks and one at 8 on that fucking NFL Network.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When NBC had the NBA contract ESPN would always throw a college bowl game on Christmas Day, but since ABC has hoops the WWL doesn't want to draw viewers away from their big ticket item.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Aloha Bowl, right?

That and the East/West Shrine Game. I always remember watching that after we got back from church and thinking it was the most boring-ass game I'd ever seen and wondering who would attend it.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Things I learned, new baby + lots of family = screaming baby!!!!!

Not the best of times in spurts this year.

The little kid seemed more interested in staring at the snowmen on his wrapping paper than his gifts. Granted, he's 3 1/2 months old, but it was kind of funny.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Aren't you a bitter young optimist? The NFL Network will own Christmas 2008.

What I learned: Slapping down a +4 Wild Card does not give you permission to tell your mother "Suck on that!"

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was there last year and while I thought it was amazing I was actually underwhelmed. That's probably because I went in with such high expectations. Also, it was too touristy for my tastes, I much preferred Notre-Dame in Paris.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

International figure skating could really use Borat at this point in time in their competitions. :p

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But playing Uno should be reason enough to say that.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The guys at work asked what time I was awakened on Christmas morning. It was 4:30 a.m. And it wasn't the six-year-old, who slept until 9:15. It was my 3 1/2 month old — and guess who got to feed the fussy baby...That's right, Expendable Claus. I did, however, get to help her rip into her her first present. It was priceless to see her face light up when she saw a doll staring back at her.

Then we both took a nap.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I, for one, don't miss the Blue-Gray Classic, which was played on Christmas for years.

Being given only three NBA games as the live sports choices really was three lumps of coal.

I know it wouldn't have been possible given that the Bills played Sunday, but Christmas Day would have been a nice time to have the Sabres-Pens outdoor hockey game in Buffalo. Or any hockey game would have been better than an association tripleheader.

Draft saved Draft deleted