1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I just don't care about ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

about 99 percent of things liberal entertainment types get up in arms about.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have no idea what a "liberal entertainment type" is, let alone what they "get up in arms about."

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

- Lady Gaga
    - Awards shows
    - Glee (Yeah yeah yeah ... Dead. To. IJAG)
    - What you're doing on the weekend, or stories of your child's first steps/word/poop.
    - JV basketball results, especially the leading scorers for the team out of our coverage area.
    - Small talk while you're bagging my groceries, etc.
    - TV news snowstorm reports. Yes, I'll proceed with caution and get some bread, milk and eggs on the way home.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You rang?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dick Whitman

OK, OK. Now that makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking about people who consume entertainment, not those who entertain.

As far as Streisand, Clooney, et al, I actually do care about the things they get up in arms about.

I just don't care what they have to say about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Dick Whitman

The kids thing comes up a lot, as in: "Your kids."

Never realized how much people don't care until I had children of my own. I don't talk about parenthood very often. I've had people tell me they had no idea that I had little ones.

Thing is, though, when my wife was pregnant, EVERYONE wanted to talk to her about it ALL THE TIME. So I figured that it would be the same once kids were around. But not whatsoever. No one ever asks. Which is perfectly find and completely preferable, but it's kind of strange.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Anything "viral" that is not an illness.

The NBA before the playoffs.

Any cause that just wants to "raise awareness."

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Facebook has made it brutally plain that there's nothing on Earth so interesting as my kid, and what the little twerp happens to be doing at all hours. It might be the single-worst aspect of the site.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

the next big thing

10. Dick Whitman

Here's why that happens:

When you have a kid, when said kid is born, people flip out on Facebook for about the first 24-48 hours. You get dozens of comments. Dozens of congratulations. Dozens of inquiries.

And you get a false sense that people really, really care about everything that comes after. They don't.

11. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Unless you're famous (Ashton Kutcher: "Watching my wife steam my suit while wearing a bikini. I love God!”), no one really cares what you're doing. To be perfectly honest, I think I prefer it that way.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Demi Moore could steam my, um, suits, anytime. Anyhoo...

--Facebook
    --Twitter
    --Tax advice from anyone but my tax preparer

Draft saved Draft deleted