1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things go from bad to worse for Notre Dame - RB Walker leaving early

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In Michael Bush's case, he waited to declare after Petrino left. I would think Weis would have left first before Walker chose to make any decision to skip his senior season for the NFL.

Weis isn't going anywhere.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"I've always said I plan on being here until Charlie graduates from Notre Dame, and Charlie is in the eighth grade."

Weis, the day before the Sugar Bowl.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

"I'm not going to be the next coach at Alabama."

Nick Saban, a few weeks ago.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's why I posted it.

Another similar quote:

“Every coach is just perceived as being a liar. Believe it or not, there are some people who aren’t liars. I already told people where my life was heading and my life is heading toward being here until Charlie graduates from Notre Dame. Charlie’s in eighth-grade, and when he finishes, hopefully I’ll have enough money to go lay on some beach and drink pina coladas. But until that time, I intend to be at Notre Dame.”

5. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

love the use of "intend." Gives him wiggle room. Why don't these guys just tell the truth: "If the money's right, I'll go coach a Pop Warner team."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Intend" is the most significant word in a coach's lexicon.

Three years from now, when Charlie leaves, he can say he told the truth. When he made his original statement, he fully intended to be at Notre Dame unitl his kid graduated from there.
    In the meantme, things changed, so his intentions changed.
    "But I meant what I said three years ago."

And remember, when it comes to their next job, ALL coaches are lying bastards.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the record, I agree. All coaches with the notable exception of Mark Richt :D are lying bastards.

Having said that, I'll say this. The potential for a job change is not comfortable for anyone. And employers, even NFL owners and college presidents, are known not to take kindly fo such flirtations. Let's say you talk to another employer. It doesn't work out. Your boss learns of this and decides your commitment is lacking. He tells you, "you know what, you're looking to leave, so it's clear you don't want to be here. That being the case, I think you're more likely to leave a dangling participle alone that you'd fix if your commitment were a tad higher. I think we're going to go in another direction." This scenario is why people in all professions play it close to the vest when pondering a job change. Lies don't come into it in a lot of cases because most people aren't hounded every time their car door opens about their job prospects. It's self preservation. People have been known to lie out of said self preservation. Coaches are just like the rest of us. The money is monstrously greater than most, and the public attention isn't present for, say, your average sports reporter, when he is dallying. But the thought process is the same. I think Saban is just as big an asshole as most on here do, but I'd bet that at least half the people on here have at some point in their careers been something less than truthful when the subject of job change has some up. Because, you know, we all have bills to pay.

Yeah, I know, I'll probably take the bullet on this one, but it needed to be said ...

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As for Walker, he went to ND because Ty Willingham was there, simple as that. Ty treated him like royalty, and Walker respected the hell out of the guy, on and off the field, and for good reason.

As soon as Ty left, the countdown began for Walker to leave, too.

He's a good kid. I hope he does well in the NFL.

9. Firing a class act and solid coach like Willingham just looks smarter and smarter every day on Notre Dame's part ... hope they're happy.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Ah, yes, another Irish rip-fest. Popular past time around here lately.
    Look, they're not that good. Never were, on defense, anyway. But when the Sugar Bowl offers you a spot, are you supposed to turn it down?
    And Weis, well he doesn't look like no Knute Rockne these days, does he? But is he really any more or less of a liar than any other big-time coach? And with Coughlin staying with the Giants, is he even a purely speculative candidate for any other job? No. He's staying.
    As for Darius, it's too bad, because he seems like a good kid, and they could use a veteran leader on offense next year. And, while I could be mistaken, he doesn't seem like all that high a draft pick: no breakaway speed and with his running style he'll take a pounding on Sundays. But he was recruited by Ty and he's been starting for three years and he wasn't going to win no national championship next year anyway, so why not take his shot now? Good luck to him. They've got plenty of other backs lined up behind him.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, now that you're done typing, you can get off your knees...

12. So can the rest of us say that to you when you're on one of your Steelers fellatio fests?

Draft saved Draft deleted