1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things college football teams should NEVER do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Technically the TCU game was a neutral site game. They played at Jerryworld.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Technically the TCU game was a neutral site game. They played at Jerryworld.

Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I didn't mean to sound like I thought no one else could say that. But it's pretty pathetic that people drag Alabama into every conversation about what's WRONG WITH COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!!!

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I only went back to 2007, but in games vs. ranked OOC opponents, Oregon State was 0-7.

Edit: Until this year.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No Big Ten supporter should be criticizing any other conference for its scheduling practices. There's a reason Wisconsin had won 33 non-con games in a row, and it isn't because they stepped it up against great competition.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

MAC>Sun Belt?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd also offer that it's easier for Oregon State to schedule those kinds of games because Oregon State doesn't scare anybody. In some cases, it's not that the Beavers scheduled those teams, but that those teams scheduled the Beavers.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, but they did have a home-and-home with a team from a BCS conference in most seasons. Arizona comes to mind, North Carolina comes to mind. Hardly powerhouses, but better than tiny directional schools.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Playing small schools is one thing, but playing I-AA (or FCS) schools is something that no school from a BCS conference ever should do.

You can find a cupcake game without dipping into the I-AA pot. It is funny when it explodes in the faces of the teams that are stupid enough to do it, (See Colorado, Michigan, etc...).

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep, and of those seven games, six were on the road, five were against teams that went to BCS bowls, and a sixth (Boise, 2009) was against a team that probably should have. Nobody wins those games very often.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's hit-or-miss. In 2009 it was Northern Illinois, Fresno, Wofford and Hawaii. In 2008 it was Akron, Marshall, Fresno and Cal Poly. They will occasionally schedule a BCS opponent, but it's usually as you said an Arizona or a North Carolina, not somebody you're ever going to envision being an upper-tier program as Wisconsin likes to think it is. Would love to know the last time Wisconsin went into a non-con game as an underdog.

A lot of other Big Ten schools schedule the games but lose them. Seems like that's going to continue for a while, either the Big Ten avoids tough games or eliminates itself from the BCS equation by playing them. Urban Meyer is the great hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted