1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things college football teams should NEVER do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I can't wait for some team to end the SEC's reign, but I think USC is the only team with a chance to do that this season.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The title game is in Miami (Gardens).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it matters as much with the bowl games. The teams are there for so long that they're not dealing with the same issues that they would get if they had to travel 3,000 miles for a regular season game.

I do think that the only way a SEC team doesn't win the title if if none of them make the title game, which could happen if they all beat up on each other...

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree. The title is the SEC's to lose, whether it's Alabama or someone else.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The SEC champion deserves an automatic berth. Would anyone take a title game seriously without an SEC team involved, particularly if SEC teams cleaned up in, say, the Sugar and Fiesta bowls?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Once they go to four teams, it will be impossible to conceive of a scenario that doesn't involve the SEC.

Until then, the fact that the conference is undefeated in computer showdowns since Roy Kramer rewrote the secret formula is a strong indicator that yes, they'll always be invited. The only way that doesn't hold is if two big conference teams run the table and nobody from the SEC does.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with an FCS school or a low-FBS payday game, but two or more in a season is joke.
    As for the Big 10 and the Big East, they'll have to play those non-con road games. They're not going to get a team in the playoff without demonstrating that their conference has a shot against anyone else.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Agreed. Their conference power rating isn't good enough that they can just rely on their winner getting a berth.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As far as the Big 10 goes, that's bullshit.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Big Ten is 4-8 in BCS games the past six years. One of those wins (Ohio State in 2011) has been vacated. Two of those wins (Iowa in 2010 and Michigan in 2012) were against the Atlantic Coast Conference.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State has played a ranked (in the FINAL poll, the one that matters) OOC opponent from 2004 through 2011. It has already played Wisconsin this year and has another game at BYU, which could be ranked, in October.

2012: Wisconsin (13)
    2011: @ Wisconsin 10 (Big 10 champ, Rose Bowl))
    2010: @ TCU 2 (Rose Bowl champ), @ Boise State 9
    2009: Cincinnati 8 (Orange Bowl)
    2008: @ Utah 2 (Sugar Bowl champ), @ Penn State 8 (Rose Bowl)
    2007: @ Cincinnati (17)
    2006: @ Boise 5, @ Hawaii (ranked at the time, not in final rankings)
    2005: @ Louisville 19,
    2004: @ LSU 12, @ Boise State 16

Draft saved Draft deleted