1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things college football teams should NEVER do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

More than a decade ago, I was having a conversation with the AD of a pretty big football power. I guess this would have been 2000 when Alabama, which began the season as a national title contender and was opening at UCLA.

I said, "So when are you going to play a game on the West Coast?"

He looked at me and said, "It will never happen as long as I'm here."

He said the two things that he would never let happen were that he would never play a regular-season road game where the team would have to travel more than a couple hours by plane and he would never agree to a mid-week game unless it was a Thanksgiving deal.

This was days before UCLA upset Bama.

I was thinking about this when I saw Oregon State had upset Wisconsin. Why would anyone at a college football power agree to a home-and-home where there was that much travel involved? Is there any upside to a home-and-home with Oregon State?

I kind of get it if you're dealing with two national powers, but otherwise? No way...

There's no reason USC should have agreed to a game against Syracuse. They won, but that's the way national title contenders have their season ended.

Maybe that will change when there is a fully developed playoff system in, but until then, I think I agree with both of those rules..

Do you agree with them?

What are other things college football teams should never do?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd never play my marquee game out of the gate, the way Oregon and LSU did last year. Killed any chance the Ducks had of making the title game. This year, I don't know if Michigan had any real hope like that, but they sure don't after the Alabama game.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tough call. I like teams that will compete in any circumstance but there is the reality of current system.

The way it is now almost makes the entire season a single elimination tournament.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you're a "marquee" program you should never hire a head football coach who has never been a head football coach before.

It might work out - Chip Kelly - but more times than not it doesn't - Ron Zook.

5. Boom_70

Faust, Gerry

6. LongTimeListener

I'd also never have a walk-on kicker. Too many games change on that one factor. I'd recruit the hell out of it, at least one scholarship every two years.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you recruit nationwide, you have to play nationwide at least once or twice every four years...that's why USC was in NJ this weekend.

Never tweet about "old man football."

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never play a non-conference game at Hawaii unless you're on probation and can't go to a bowl game.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The AD at Syracuse used to work at USC. (If Daryl Gross is still the AD at SU)

And, unlike Alabama or some SEC teams, the Trojans aren't afraid to play intersectional road games, either at an actual road venue (Virginia, Auburn, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc., off the top of my head), or against Penn State and Syracuse at the Meadowlands or Va Tech in Washington DC.

And I would say the "upside" to an interesectional series like OSU-Wisconsin was that in both instances, the home fan bases got to see an OOC game against an opponent from a BCS AQ conference instead of the usual I-AA or FBS doormat dog chow and actually got some value for the $60 or $70 ticket.

Of course, maybe fans at Okie State and Florida State really enjoy playing big bucks to see Savannah State.

10. Boom_70

Don't film practice from a lift tower in a wind storm.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mike DuBose
    Mike Shula

12. LongTimeListener

Wisconsin must have figured it was a way to say they finally played somebody without having to actually play anybody. Psyche!

Speaking of which ...

If it had all worked out for Mizzou in the Big Ten, I'm thinking they'd be odds-on favorite to at least reach the conference championship game this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted