1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thin-skinned Time reporter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, May 1, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Time's national reporter, Karen Tumulty, did a blog item on the forced resignation of GSA head Lurita Dean, who basically lied to Congress about breaking federal laws and also gave jobs to cronies.

Tumulty's one-sentence post was "What took so long?"

In response, commenters pointed out, rather calmly, that Time had not written a single story on Dean. They did searches that found out Time's website had many more mentions of, say, "flag pin" than "lurita dean."

Her response to the commenters?

"Okay, guys, I think that all this bile being directed at me is totally unreasonable." She eventually quits the conversation.

Maybe it struck me more than it should, but it seemed to epitomize the DC press corps.

http://tinyurl.com/6bq3p9

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Over/under on how long she'd last here?

3. Wherever you set it, I'll take the under.

4. That is a great grab by someone.
    Sorry, Karen, but you been busted, woman.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is. This whole exchange is plain weird.
    Obviously, Dean is impeachable. Picking up the WashPost in the last year would tell you that. And, Karen Tumulty, is one of the best District journalists out there. But, picking up the Dean story now is like turning on a ballgame in the 9th inning of a 12-12 tie, and asking: "Did I miss anything?"

6. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

The way politics in this country is covered, as a whole, is a fuckin' travesty.

These people are doing us all a great disservice.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Time's writers have been said to hate doing the web posting thing, feeling its beneath them. Joe Klein is especially noted for having people disagree with them. What blows my mind is that these are highly-educated, well-paid professionals, and yet when they are challenged by someone outside their cocktail party circuit, they can't back up their arguments or opinions. Anyone think that too many TV appearances where hosts don't challenge guests' assertions is weakening their ability to back up what they write?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Either that or they can't back it up to begin with.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You mean that the blog format can bring out an honesty and transparency that would otherwise be absent?

Draft saved Draft deleted