1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thibodeau Comes Out of Closet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 29, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Like I said, I was mostly being snarky.

But, let's be honest, the guy is profiled because he fits a profile the Times is interested in promoting, because they find the issue important.

It wasn't that they found his story compelling. It's not really even that interesting a story. "Man comes out, met with support, suffers no negative consequences."

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you were a parent of the girl in photo you would be happy
    that the coach was gay and not hitting on her.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The whole "publicly" thing bothers me...

There are countless coaches who are gay who are not trying to hide anything from anybody. Just because they don't announce it to the NYT doesn't mean they're in the closet.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's because of the belief held by some that one has an obligation to be an activist and advance the cause. It bothers some people to be identified or defined solely by their sexual orientation.

Some people don't want to be poster children. They just want to be left alone.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the tennis coach at UCSB coming out makes the NYT, we're going to start seeing...

"Look coach, we know everybody has known your sexual preference for the last 20+ years, but we were thinking about the positive publicity we could get if you came out publicly."

It's bullshit.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

New NYT motto:

"All the news that fits the narrative."

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is NYT story by Jere Longman on Pokey Chatman. When everyone in the sports world knew the story, The Times was still terming it "inappropriate conduct".
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09lsu.html

Longman by the way is an LSU graduate.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if I were to ask what PR person put together the narrative of this story, and pitched it to the Times, would Here me roar come along and call me, "wrong and, frankly, ignorant"?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's a good question because editors are expected to respond directly to every PR story pitched to them.

10. tmr

tmr Member

Nice shock value on the subject headline here. Thibs has many lady admirers, so i was surprised until I clicked the link.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That ain't no gorl. That's a full-on wumman.

My goodness, she is attractive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/w-tennis/2012-13/bios/meehen_kiersten_rcke
    or
    http://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/w-tennis/2012-13/bios/cos_paola_5a4y

Draft saved Draft deleted