1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're painting the town white.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, May 26, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I kinda do, though.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What about the people that can't afford to make changes to their homes' roofs because the material is too expensive. What about small business? How is my newspaper going to pay to have the roof painted white. Oh yeah, they will just lay me off.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

They're going to lay you off whether they paint the roof white or not.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm confused. The government shouldn't try to reduce energy costs because some other building owners might not be able tot afford to?

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

That's called going off on a tangent RS

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Article never said this was only for government buildings. Bottom line, how much is it going to cost the taxpayers to paint these buildings?

Will they outweigh the energy costs? And at what point? I am okay with this as long as they find some way to pay for it other than raising taxes. Cut government salaries, do something. Don't raise my taxes.

7. RickStain

I have absolutely no scientific reason for it, but trying to rejigger the way heat moves around the earth on a large scale makes me nervous. Seems like some serious opportunity for unintended consequences.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

blue font?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it pays for itself before the roof needs replaced, then it is worth it.

10. RickStain

Nope, serious.

Intellectually, I know it's batpoop. But you can't control emotions with logic, and uneasiness is an emotion.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The stuff you put on shingles will pay for itself, in part because it extends the life of shingles. Don't know squat about the roofs on commercial buildings.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think we need to look at it in terms of costs before we just start painting buildings white; maybe new homes and buildings should have this technology.

This story has no mention of cars. White/Silver cars stay cooler than black cars. I don't want anyone suggesting I paint my black car so I don't waste so much energy on AC in the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted