1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're painting the town white.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, May 26, 2009.

1. KG

KG Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090526/pl_afp/climatewarmingusbritainchu

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems to me this would be cutting off his nose to spite his face. During the winter, wouldn't it be more energy efficient to have darker roofs that attract heat and thus reduce heating costs? Wouldn't a building in D.C. have the heat on for more days during the year than it would have the AC on?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

NO WAY. Not as humid as it gets.

In the winter, you'll have a handful of days where it's numb your balls cold. But there are more humid, nasty days where it's warmer.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I've got no problem with this. I don't know why any reasonable person would.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be numb your balls cold to have the heat on. Just sayin'.

Pretty much all government buildings are going to have either the heat or the AC on on any given day, right? It's just a matter of how hard the system has to work to either cool or heat the building. I don't think humidity would affect it that much, because the buildings are pretty much always going to have low humidity inside.

Outside temps are going to be the biggest factor. But again, I'm not sure about what the weather is like there on a year 'round basis. I suppose my Northeast blood has me thinking it's cold more often than it's hot, but I guess D.C. is far enough south that that's not necessarily the case.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I live in a dark brown house with a medium brown roof in Georgia. When they did the road construction, they took out all of the trees that shaded my house from the evening sun. I'd love it if the landlord suddenly decided to paint the house a light color and give it a new, lightly colored roof.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

The tops of school buses and locomotives are often painted white to reflect heat.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'd rather see solar panels or green space... barring that, I've got no problem with white. In FL, there's a sealant you can put over your shingles to protect your roof against moisture and wind. It's white.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who is going to pay for all of this?

That's why I have a problem with it.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

You are mustang. Bury your pennies.......if this reduces cooling costs, uh, then it doesn't cost anything. Jesus H. Christ. [cross/thread]

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I also read where they're painting the passports brown, related to the beauty parlor being filled with sailors and the circus being in town.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You should have a light colored roof in almost every part of the country. If you have an attic, you should also have a vent fan to remove the stored heat of your attic in the summer. Think of it as your house wearing a wool hat in the summer.

As far as a big building like the White House with many people inside, you should have a light colored roof as well. In a school, which is much like the White House in that it is about 80,000 - 250,000 square feet, the AC kicks on when it reaches 55 degrees outside. At that point the heating stops and the cooling starts.

When you have 800 people in a school, you have 800 little heaters constantly running. You also have lights and computers which radiate heat. Anything that can be done to keep the total building cooler should be done. It costs about $500,000 a year to power, heat and cool one high school.

The black roof versus white roof is the same concept as wearing a white shirt versus a black shirt when golfing. We all should know that the white shirt is much cooler, right?

Also, there is a method to the madness of Tiger wearing red on Sundays. ROY G BIV.

Draft saved Draft deleted