1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're Making Me Go To Rehab

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bayless threw shit at the wall and some of it stuck, whoop dee fucking doo. And it certainly took some kind of wizard to guess that Manziel was getting fucked up on a regular basis. Big deal.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Speechless. Same thinking expressed on another thread about why Carroll didn't give the ball to Lynch.

A friend started with AA about nine months ago and it has helped turn her life around. My mother worked in addiction recovery. It is not an easy thing and I admire those who can kick a bad habit and keep it kicked.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

NFL quarterbacks can't afford to be average 22-year-olds.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Average 22-year-olds don't act like Johnny Manziel or Lindsay Lohan.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, I think there's a big difference between a psychological need to be the life of the party at all times, and a true alcohol dependent who needs an eye-opener every morning, for example. My guess is that Johnny Manziel doesn't do a lot of drinking alone. I could be wrong.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we give people credit for throwing shit at the wall and having some of it stick all the time at SJ.com. The difference here is many of us just don't like Bayless.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Someone may not need an eye-opener in the morning or a drink during the day and still be an alcoholic.

8. Dick Whitman

I know. That's why I specifically included "for example" in that sentence. I definitely didn't intend it as an exhaustive list of symptoms.

Look, it's possible that he's an alcoholic. I don't know enough to make that evaluation, obviously. There was a report out recently, based on recent scientific research, I believe, that most binge drinkers - even frequent binge drinkers - are not actually alcoholics. The old joke is, "I could stop tomorrow." But a lot of people can, I think, because it's not necessarily about the alcohol.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There have been points in my life where I'm sure I would have qualified as an alcoholic based on the clinical description. But as Dick says, it was all based on the group setting.

However, again, this is not about alcohol. He has been photographed with a rolled-up dollar bill. That isn't for sipping whiskey.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And vice versa, right?

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Comparing binge drinking to alcoholism is like comparing someone who just ate a big dinner to a morbidly obese person.

12. Dick Whitman

I know.

That's what I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted