1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're games dammit!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

NCAA act
    The NCAA switched to sets this year, or at least, that's what the local college coach told my paper.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Volleyball's great when the fifth "set" goes beyond the required 15 points and we get ... drum roll, please:

BONUS CANTOS!

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's funny. The second time I met the volleyball coach at EMU, she informed me they weren't called "spikes," but rather "kills."

I also just had a friendly argument with a first-year coach in these parts because she kept saying "We won in three matches." I told her she was wrong, and when I got back to the office I told her I "looked it up" and I was right.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's sets or games, so long as the headline doesn't include the word "spikers." Sends a chill down my spine.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Well there are spikes and kills. A spike is one way of hitting the ball, but just because you spike it doesn’t mean you get the kill, and conversely not every kill is the result of a spike.

And an attack also doesn't have to be a spike.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We had a coach go off on a tangent about this not too long ago.

The words are interchangeable for us.

7. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Damn...they changed it huh?
    I recant the rant.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

It's a shitty feeling, ain't it? ;D

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the only thing worse than a VB coach talking the nuances of the game are soccer coaches who use the word nil over, and over, and over.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm calling them games, g**dammit. It's my beat and set reminds me of tennis. :)

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Set: a number of things of the same kind that belong or are used together

That describes how two (or more) games could be grouped collectively, as in tennis, but to describe a single volleyball game as a set is just incorrect, regardless of what USA Volleyball or the NCAA says. To have a set, you've got to have more than one. So it's still games to me.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

What is their mascot -- Richard Gere's gerbil?

Draft saved Draft deleted