1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're baaaaaaaack...still bootstrappin'

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChrisMaza, Oct 18, 2011.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Um...serious question, having seen this publication...they have a sports section?

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Gee golly, a real live letter of recommendation! Glad they cleared up.

I'm disappointed they've done away with the parts of the ad that allude to bringing a sleeping bag and your own snacks, sending your stuff to "Village of Lenox, MA" and making up words like "stipendium" and shit.

Just for fun, I emailed this guy the last time around and asked if the job is full-time with benefits, his response was "Yes and no. 30 hours a week, no bennies. If you are willing to sell ads and write, I offer a stipend. Other wise, I pay by the inch and for each pix." Draw your own conclusions.

Either A) Dude was behind on his oil/electric bill, or B) dude was piss-shittin drunk

3. Greg_Cameron

Greg_Cameron New Member

Imjustagirl: Honestly, as much as it was a 30 minute waste of my time. Probably the funniest interview I've ever experienced. Does it at all entice you to possibly apply if I were to tell you that George (the Beacon guy) looks like a totally destitute man's Wilford Brimley? He definitely does but he wasn't nearly as awesome.

EmbassyRow: I think he wanted to start a sports section. Again, I think. No clue if that was what he really wanted to do or if he was simply pumping my tires.

Ice9: Is it possible if I respond with C) Both?

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Didn't think of that. Good call.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That explains a lot. Doesn't diabeetus inhibit blood flow? He probably was just cold.

6. Greg_Cameron

Greg_Cameron New Member

Well, now that you word it like that, I'm starting to feel a little bit bad for the guy. I meant that merely from appearances. I think HIPAA regulations might prohibit me from knowing the guy's health history.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So THAT'S what happened to him.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Quality website/blog the Beacon has ... Sigh.

rb

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Their ad reps are contract employees, they get unpaid vacation as a benefit ... but they get free advertising space and mentoring relationships as perks!

http://albany.craigslist.org/mar/2660345511.html

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The job includes collections as well. Bring your crowbar.

Draft saved Draft deleted