1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They say you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, May 4, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"fuck her brains out" for a passed out chick? Not sure that's happening today. Unless the perp was castrated afterwards.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, because his 'better angel' wins the argument and he doesn't do it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

Got it. Its been a while since I watched the movie.

5. Starman

Welllll .... he doesn't do it RIGHT THEN, on camera, but at the very end of the movie, in the big riot scene, Clorette does come running up to her parents and says, "Mom, Dad, this is Larry, the boy who molested me. We have to get married."

So, draw your own conclusions.

6. poindexter

You've got the sarcasm meter to 11, and you appear to be itching for a fight. You aren't going to get one from me.

In your example, Rainn Wilson made some sort of rape joke and was apparently vilified, and had to do the whole twitter apology thing.

In the example about Two Broke Girls and Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Peretti, I will draw a line of demarcation of hot chicks today joking about their rape, or rape fantasies; and the creep from Revenge of the Nerds sexually assaulting a girl.

I can see a difference. But I don't want to get into a whole angry argument over it.

Edit: Louis CK does rape jokes, as noted at the end of this article. I think this thread is really just talking about movies.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, the 13-year-old and the Peeping Tom scenes were the ones I was thinking that likely wouldn't make it today.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Well, it was a short 21 years ago.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Revenge of the Nerds would make Tucker Max and Clay Travis blush.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I t's not that nobody ever gets to push the envelope anymore, but the process is different. Pryor pushed Mel Brooks to keep every controversial line and add more and have faith the finished product would work. And the studio just went with it.

Today, the Sony hacks getout and you can read all of the debate and negotiations it takes to get certain jokes and scenes in.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Didn't they do it on the 50-yard line of the football field?

12. Starman

Yeah. That was a week or so AFTER the Toga Party.

Draft saved Draft deleted