1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They say you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, May 4, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How many do you want? There's example after example.

You're acting like every movie in the 1970s and '80s was dropping 100 N-bombs and showing three rapes.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's not what I'm saying.

But Tropic Thunder, The Hangover and a couple Apatow movies don't support the fact that you could get away with a lot more 20-30 years ago than you can now.

3. LongTimeListener

They're not supposed to support the fact. They're supposed to counter it.

But, to people who think that life was way better when you could just make fun of the nigs and the chinks and the fags and the lesbian feminists and they'd all shut up and know their place, I guess this is indeed a disconcerting time in life.

4. RecoveringJournalist

5. RecoveringJournalist

So, you don't find Blazing Saddles funny?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd guess there are as many N-bombs in your average episode of The Wire.

7. RecoveringJournalist

True, but there's a big difference between a HBO show and a major studio movie.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wikipedia has her as a 15-year-old. Slightly more realistic. Although she does lie about her age and sleeps with a 26-year-old, which would definitely be frowned upon today.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think RJ might be saying "satire isn't as good today," instead of "the world is too PC to find this funny anymore."

Some of the edgiest, sharpest racial satire ever came from Dave Chappelle in the last decade, and he was so good at it that bits like the blind KKK leader who didn't know he was black, and "The Niggar Family," When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong, and the racial draft, etc., are pretty universally lauded.

10. LongTimeListener

I would mention Pulp Fiction, but I have a feeling in RJ's world about how everything is just shit since the good old days, 1994 would somehow miraculously slip back into the pre-PC era.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Animal House would make it easily. I can't think of any lines which would get nixed today, except maybe the little angel yelling 'YOU HOMO!' at Pinto.

Oops -- showing the supposedly-13-year-old Clorette bare chested on screen would get chopped.

But that's about it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't want to jump into a fistfight here, but I do think its different today.

The guy from Revenge of the Nerds sexually assaulted the woman at the end of the film. He impersonated the jock, led her into a dark room, and banged her. Without a hint of remorse. It was just a revenge.

I don't think that is happening today, but I don't watch a ton of movies. You can go much further today with penis and scat humor, but rape and racial humor seems to be more off limits. btw, up yours, nigger.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted