1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They probably "Played The Wrong Way" again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Were you expecting an upset?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Exactly. The job of the U.S. Olympic Basketball coach is not to mold a cohesive unit who will serve as an extension of his own personal vision of the way the game of basketball can and must be played on the court; the job of the U.S. Olympic Basketball coach is to take the talent he gets, and figure out how to Win.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Carmelo get's 18 again. Damn, were is this aggressiveness coming from?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Pope, the only thing I would adjust in what you said is that Richard Jefferson could fit in Larry Brown's system based on his defensive play. Additionally, I don't think it is a big stretch to start Jefferson over LeBron at the time it occurred. Jefferson's track record had already been established while LeBron was still in high school.

The team was somewhat poorly constructed, however the coach really flubbed it in 2004. It shouldn't matter what the team was, you are supposed to play to their strengths, as mentioned. Somewhere along the way Larry Brown's ego got the better of him and it became all about the players adapting to him as opposed to him adapting to the players.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Spoiler,

so nobody stumbles on this thread and gets pissy when they see a final score. Even though there's no final score in the subject title.

Your US-Brazil final score:

U.S. 90, Brazil 86.

Edit: ESPN.com just posted a story. Carmelo hyperextended his left knee. Brazil opened second half on 16-0 run. Brazil had late chance to tie.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No need for a spoiler. This isn't going to be on ESPN tonight.

Not sure about NBA TV though.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, besides, COCKDIAN just posted the result in a thread title anyway. That's what I get for trying, I suppose.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't look, Ethel!!! :eek: :eek:

Contrary to the report on ESPN, which had the final score against Lithuania as 104-90, SI.com has it as 111-88.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/more/08/13/us.lithuania.ap/

Draft saved Draft deleted