1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"They Bought the Pennant "

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As big as I've seen on this issue.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahh yes. The whole "if he doesn't have WS or AL rings the system must be flawed."

That, or the playoffs are a crapshoot. But that wouldn't help your argument, would it?

And yes, I do mock Billy Beane for crying when he can't win a playoff series, but that's because he's had chances to leave Oakland for the so-called advantages of the big markets but won't because his ego and collossal fear of failure won't allow him (oh yeah, that and his family, yawn). If Billy leaves and fails to win it in Boston, then he's no longer the little engine that could. He's got a built-in excuse in Oakland...just like Columbo in this argument!!!

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Baseball champs past 10 years:
    New York 4
    Chicago 1
    LA 1
    Boston 1

Largest market to win NFL title past decade, Boston.

Smallest three markets to win baseball in past 10 (rank in parentheses):
    Miami (17)
    Miami (17)
    Phoenix (14)

Three smallest to win the NFL
    Green Bay (69)
    Pittsburgh (24)
    Baltimore (22)

BYH, you are giving my steel-toed boot Carpal Tunnel.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Worst part about this system -- when Steinbrenner builds his own stadium, that means the Royals won't get nay salary cap money anymore. Dayton Moore better have some things turned around by then or that's going to be a disaster in KC.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Columbo, the only person who agrees with you that you're giving me a steel-tipped shoe in the ass is two-bit, who also thinks The Sporting News is a viable product and believes the death of ESPN Mobile is horrible news for journalists everywhere.

Really, you need to pick your allies--or, in this case, your battles--a little better.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nice non-answer.

Very Nixonian.

You have NO leg to stand on in this discussion.

8. the fop

the fop Member

Like BYH, I've long ago buried contempt for the Yankees. If George Steinbrenner takes advantage of the enormous resources he has to fashion a run of sustained excellence, then good on him. As others have pointed out, another owner in his shoes might pocket much of that cash instead.

What amuses me is those Yankees fans who crave constant validation and reinforcement that the team's success has nothing to do with economic advantage. It is what it is. If you need to feel noble as well, root for the A's or Twins.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Columbo:

Arizona and Florida have won the World Series in the past six years. And when the Angels won in 2002, they had few, if any, high-priced free agents. In fact, there had been talk prior to that of contracting by buying out the Angels and moving Oakland to southern California. And post season doesn't seem to matter much to Oakland and Billy Beane. If you want to talk about systems and things being unfair, how does Jeffrey Loria manage to gut a franchise in Montreal, sell it to MLB, have MLB allow him to buy the Florida franchise from John Henry, and have John Henry buy the Red Sox with the second-highest bid.

NBA: Are there any demographics which makes San Antonio, Texas a prime market.

NFL: The NFL has real revenue sharing. The weakest teams get huge sums of money from television contracts and merchandise sales. Pete Rozelle managed to get people to think in terms of the greater good, and the result is a profitable business model.

NHL: The New York Rangers have always been among the leaders in NHL payrolls and missed the playoffs seven straight years. Nothing more needs to be said except, as a New Jersey Devils fan, "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha"

That's today's lecture for the class, The Effects of Sports Economics and Comparative Salaries. You can leave early today and have a chocolate sundae. Have a nice weekend.

10. I would just like to say that I wish the Yankees well in the post season. I hope either them or the Dodgers win it all.

Every fan secretly wishes he had George Steinbrenner as an owner of their team.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I prefer my owner to still be of sound mind, myself.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Wait a minute, Chris L. You are up to something. I haven't figured out what it is, but if you are wishing the Yankees well I'm going to church today and pray for mercy and that the end of the world isn't too painful.

Draft saved Draft deleted