1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These sports departments need diversity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Sep 18, 2017.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Most of the conservatives I knew at newspapers were publishers, managing editors and editorial page editors.

Ace likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And someone, pray tell, explain to me how one covers sports conservatively? Do we continue to kiss the ass of the likes of Roger Goodell or Gary Bettman, just because they're the boss? Do we go back to 1968, when Brent Musburger called Tommie Smith and John Carlos "black-skinned stormtroopers?"

Can't we just let reporters report?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To answer your question, what you cover can be perceived as liberal or conservative. For decades sports was covered extremely conservatively.

To most white writers, the idea of blacks in the majors or free agency were not subjects they would touch except to bash.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's what bothers me when these threads pop up, not just here, but elsewhere. The messenger is getting confused with the message. Or as our beloved spnited says "We are not the story ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted