1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's the Door...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fuh Real, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Fuh Real

Fuh Real Guest

A long time ago, journalism was a profitable business. Ad reps were selling ads by the buckets and ink flew off the printers in droves.

Today, however, those days are long gone as many newspapers are having buyouts and layoffs. In taking the job that you have, you knew the pay wasn't going to be good unless you were a high-level columnist or top editor.

I read this board with a careful eye and see numerous views on the state of the business. I read a solid amount of threads about people wanting leave the business and people who have already left. To those people who want to leave the business, great, get the fuck out.

If you have been this disillusioned by the product that you put out or the industry as a whole, then it's not for you. Walk out the door and do not return. Stop complaining and act on your words.

Believe it or not, there are thousands of students in journalism schools around the United States ready to take your job when you leave. Those students have a drive to excel in the industry and will do whatever it takes to get a job. They will send out 50 resumes and get 49 “no's,” just to get that one “maybe.” Then they'll send out 25 more to get that one "yes."

Hell, there are plenty of people already in the business who are ready to snatch your job the minute you leave. There are people within your company or your paper that have their eyes on your job and are salivating with the talk of you leaving. Next time you go in the office, look around. One of those people is dying to take your spot. His/her resume is ready-to-go the minute you give your two weeks.

Hell, if your job is good enough and a step up from my current one, I will gladly take your position.

Journalism as an industry is not dead. Print journalism is far from dead.

What did Mike Gundy hold up during his press conference? A newspaper. What do people still have in their possession from 9/11 or other recent disasters? Newspaper clippings. Mom and Dad are making little Junior a scrapbook from all his high school games and from where are they getting the clips? The newspaper.

You know that running back you talked to after the game? The one that never really had reason to celebrate until today? You just got him more ass than he knows what to do with after you pulled him away for an interview. His family and friends were taking pictures of you interviewing him. You know that cross-country runner that had a hell of a race? You interviewing him made his short life. Fuck that trip to Disney World. He now has something he can hold on to the rest of his life. These people will point to that article and say, “see kids, Dad used to be this good.”

People are still getting their news from the print media, if they weren't the industry would've collapsed yesterday. The machine is still working its way back from the recent set-backs, but it's coming back. Once those in charge figure out how to focus their energy in a way to rejuvenate the product, it'll be back stronger than before.

The machine is not dead. It just has a few rusty parts. Those of you who complain about the state of the industry and want to get out of the business are just those creaky widgets. There are other shiny ones ready to take your place.

Quit talking. Take action. If you're upset with the industry and don't feel like being a part of solution, pack your bags and leave. Just don't beg to get back in.

2. Re: Excuse Me While I Rant

[​IMG]

We don' need no STEEENKING resumes!

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Excuse Me While I Rant

No bingo?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: Excuse Me While I Rant

Yawn.

(Not paging the poster, just expressing that we've heard this all before.)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I admire the guy's passion. Why, precisely, are we dissing him?

6. I know that's why I got into this - to get a 17-year-old hometown hero "more ass than he knows what to do with."

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I already left.

8. B-I-N, I think.
    Not quite there yet.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My great-grandpappy says that an up-and-coming buggy whip maker wrote something pretty similar to the disgruntled of his profession early in the 20th century.

10. OP, your rant encapsulates everything wrong with this business today.

It should be competing to retain the best and brightest. That's what medicine and law and business do.

Instead, you're telling people that if they don't like minimal pay, few opportunities for advancement, shitty hours and dwindling creative freedom due to budgetary slicing, that it's on them, not the industry, and they ought not let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

Nice.

11. Fuh Real

Fuh Real Guest

This industry should be competing to retain its best and brightest, as you said that's how the medicine, law, and business industries do. If people in this industry are complaining about certain things, and say how bad they want to get out of the business, then go ahead. That would open the door for the other best and brightest to take their spot.

You mean to tell me that Harvard doesn't have a waiting list of people who are begging for someone to drop out of the school so they can prove that they have what it takes?

This business has room for the best writers who tell the most compelling stories. I do not doubt that.

People just need to look in the mirror to know why they got into this business in the first place. The first thing one of my J-school professors told the class was to "walk out the door if you are expecting to get rich in this business." For every person that walked out of the door, there was one person to walk in who wanted to add the class to their schedule. When I graduated a while ago, those are the same people who are still in this business.

12. Straw man alert!

I don't think people leave because they expect to "get rich."

Fairly compensated? Secure? Yep.

Your guilt trip here is part of the solution, not the problem. This is one of my biggest issues with the profession - this idea that personal fulfillment and personal security for some reason have to be mutually exclusive.

You should be demanding more of the industry. Instead, you're perpetuating a thread taking out its foot soldiers.

Draft saved Draft deleted