1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's no girls in (Georgia private school) football!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

might be a d_b ... didn't see it.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2008/08/29/football_girl.html

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This is crap. On so many levels. Faith-based schools/leagues are the worst when it comes to this.

That said, the mother is likely delusional if she thinks her daughter "has college potential." If she is a 14-year-old who goes to a school so small they don't have athletics, she likely doesn't have college potential.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I have a few problems with the whole set up.
    1) Hank St. Denis sounds like a douche.
    2) If the mom's right and the league does not have a bylaw stating "no girls" then the league and St. Denis are in for a firestorm of trouble and bad PR. Sure, the league is private, but changing the rules two weeks into the season so a few Georgia football fields won't be "sullied" by the presence of a girl is weak to say the least.
    3) Did I read the story right? Georgia has state playoffs for middle school football? Who opened that can of worms?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This isn't even the "real" private school association in Georgia. League sounds as legit as your average softball travel team "World Series."

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Executive board chairman of the Georgia Football League. He must be so proud of himself.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure the mother is delusional. That, or she is trying to show real damages beyond just not getting to play, which is bad enough.

These things rarely work out for the coach or administrator trying to keep a girl off the football field. Even Joe Paterno ended up granting a tryout to a female kicker, Stephanie Weimer, in 2002. This was a kicker who's career-long field goal in high school was 36 yards and she was lucky to get a kickoff inside the other team's 20, so it's not like she was an overwhelming talent. Other than not making the cut, I'm not sure what happened to her.

Draft saved Draft deleted