1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's no crying in basketball!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 6, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So Heat coach Spoelstra says in the post-game presser that a couple of his players were crying in the locker room after the close loss to the Bulls. The Heat now have a 4 game losing streak, which I guess isn't horrible if you're the Cavs but if you're the guys who already threw the championship party before the season started, a whole different story.

Guys crying, okay, whatever. But: Why o why would a coach reveal something like that?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're right. There's no cry in team.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

There's no karma in bitch, either, and yet it is.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

The money says it's the seniors who are crying, because it's their last game in the uniform, on that floor.

But seriously, the absurdity of this is laughable. For any of those calloused gazillionaires to be crying over a regular-season game is just impossible to fathom, if true. Suck it up, big guy.

Secondly, to your point about Spoelstra, 21, if the crying was genuine, the Heat PR people must've been thinking "SOMEBODY TACKLE THIS GUY" when Spoelstra said that (RIP Frank Chirkinian). Did he really believe that anyone would just sit there solemnly and take that shit seriously?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why would the coach reveal that? Maybe he is telling the world he isn't the problem.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm not willing to come to that conclusion ... yet. Spoelstra knows that if this thing blows up, the sword of Domocles is hanging over him, but I also hope he's smart enough to realize that no amount of subtle little references to players beating themselves up is ultimately going to save his job when that thread breaks.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Oh, and I haven't seen the Wade or Bron Bron interviews yet, but you'd like to assume that somebody asked them about it.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's just it. Screams of inexperience. You take a team that's already hyper-scrutinized, and you add this to the mix?

'Who cried?'
    'What made you cry?'
    'How do you feel about your teammates crying?'
    'Do you plan to cry again?'
    'Was it a little sniffle, or bigass snorty howling?'
    'Would you like a hug?'

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

"I wanna use 'lachrymose' in my lede for the first time in my [or anybody's] career. Can you validate its usage?"

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm calling bullshit. High school and college seniors cry after tournament losses. NBA millionaires do not ever cry over early March regular season losses.

Spoelstra wanted to convey that his players really really care, but he overplayed his hand by claiming they were crying. Not buying it.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Spoelstra jut blew it, any way you slice it.

If it was a knee-jerk poorly worded metaphor for guys being down in the dumps, the fact is, in today's viral media world, a large segment of the population who care about the NBA is going to have an image of LeBron and Wade crying, whether it's true or not.

If somebody was actually in there crying, now it's out there. And there's nothing good about that for the Heat.

He either overpassionately tried to convey the notion of his players' commitment to winning, or he violated the "What happens here, stays here" edict.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Wade: "I'm not going to tell you that."

Draft saved Draft deleted