1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's a very distant parking place in hell reserved for these people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So I pull up outside the stadium to cover a baseball game yesterday and see three women getting out of a car in a handicapped space. These girls all look to be healthy 20-somethings. Nothing handicapped about them except maybe mentally. But not only did they park in the wheelchair spot, they park so that their front wheels are in the space next to them (effectively taking up TWO handicapped spots).
    This game was at a minor league park, and it was 3:30 p.m. Game started at 6:30, gates opened at 4:30. There were maybe 25 cars in a big, big lot. Parking in a normal spot would've added a whopping 30 feet to their walk. I was sitting in my car, and I watch them for a minute as they walk into the stadium -- to their jobs passing stuff out just inside the gate. I want to call a cop and have them towed, but after I got out of my car and walked past theirs I see they have a handicap hangtag. Must've been their mother's car or something.
    Can we teach people somewhere along the line that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should? It'd be bad, but somewhat understandable, if they had gotten there late and used the spot. But there were hardly any other cars in the lot.
    I called the wife (who's in a wheelchair) and she told me to let it go. But would it be permissible to accidentally slide my key across a door in that situation? Does that even count as vandalism?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Like it or not, they are parked there legally. You sliding your key across their car is not. Don't worry. Karma will get them. (That's what I always tell myself anyway.)

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Two words:

Four flats.

4. jps

jps Active Member

Who parks right up front at a baseball game anyway? Depending on the location of parking lot/Stadium, that is often just asking for a foul ball.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Or two other words - heart condition.

Could be her tag, could be someone else's. I have a friend in her 20s who looks like she could be a model. She's got a bullet lodged in her head and is partially paralyzed. She's worked her ass off in rehab to get rid of her limp, but you can still see it, particularly when she's tired.

Probably pisses people off when they see her in a disabled space. Bottom line, you can't always see the disability.

But the two space thing is pretty shitty.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i have a handicapped tag because i am, well, handicapped. i'd never condone keying a car wrongly parked in a handicapped space. but i damn would give the women who took advantage of using a handicapped pass without having any handicapped person in their party. it's just wrong. in a crowded lot, it's also darn infuriating.

they shouldn't get off without being confronted and made to feel like garbage.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, and just because they had a handicapped pass doesn't make it "legal." believe you me, if the person who received the pass isn't the one using it, the fine would be substantial.

that said, as someone else noted, the handicapped person may not have a clear to the naked eye disability. another reason why the women deserved to be confronted, not vandalized.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe she had a stutter

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think the women deserve to even be confronted. As you said, they might have a disability that no one can see. Why should they have to justify themselves to total strangers everytime they use a spot?

I used to look at it the same way a lot of people did. If people looked healthy and used the spots, they should be bitched at. Now, there are members of my family, who, for various health reasons, need those spots. You can't neccesarily see their handicaps, but they do have them.

Now, Cade McNown, on the other hand, has a spot holding a clipboard in hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted