1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There STILL are morons out there who leave their kids in hot cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Aug 14, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I should clarify. I did read the article that started this thread. I did not read the other piece that everybody has been raving about.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

OOP: I think the individual who started this thread didn't read the story too closely.

As soon as I saw the headline I thought: "Parents leaving kid in hot car."

We had such an incident in our area not too long ago.

But the linked story isn't anything like that.

And I see a considerable difference between parents/caretakers who intentionally leave children in such an environment merely because they need to stop for an ice cream, facial, greeting card, etc., and someone who just effs up (with tragic consequences) because their brain short-circuits.

No children here so I can't relate.

But I do know that my work schedule is more demanding than ever before. Couple that with taking care of an aging/ailing parent and I've blanked out more than ever before. As a result, I've left some valuable stuff (car keys, phone) in public places and didn't realize it until I was standing outside my locked car patting myself down/miles away from my gym wondering why I can't call work to let them know what I'm writing for the next day.

Not in the same universe as leaving a child in a locked car but I can understand the concept of leaving something behind and not having a clue I did it until well after the fact.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm learning toward voting with Troy on this one.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Kill 'em all, including the teenage babysitter?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've actually stopped a couple of people from leaving little kids in a hot car, saying it was none of my business how they conduct their life, but suggested they ask themselves whether they wanted to be part of that particular statistic. In each case, they went back to the car and got the kids.

6. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I'm guessing you didnt read the story either.
    It's really quite fascinating ... in a horrific way. You should read it.
    If you read that story and still don't have ANY sympathy for those parents, well then, I honestly don't know what to say.

It's one of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read. And a MUST READ for anyone with babies/toddlers. Haunting, haunting stuff.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not clicking the link for the same reason.

I once put my baby in a stroller on our driveway and then turned away. The stroller rolled right down the driveway and into the street. I don't like to think about what could have happened.

I like to think of myself as a person with good situational awareness and I still can't believe I did something so careless.

Draft saved Draft deleted