1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There isn't enough Aleve in the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 7, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

So how'd you do?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I play second base ... I used to be a shortstop until a shredded rotator cuff did in my throwing strength.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My best friend growing up dropped dead between a softball doubleheader. It pretty much sucked.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

No.. he needs to have clean clothes to go to work, and needs to wash them tomorrow because he's almost out.

I used to play catcher (I know I'm not Flash, but I'd like to stay on topic, too!).  Softball was one of my favorite times in my life.  

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye, we went 1-3 in the round-robin. Beating an Edmonton team that had hammered us in the provincials last year, lost to our intown rivals and then lost by one run to two different Ontario teams (one in extra innings). We came up against a third Ontario team and they were hitting all the gaps in our single-knockout playoff game. And then we were relegated to the beer gardens.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I can't let go of the game. My parents built us our own ball diamond in our backyard when I was a kid and that got us all into Little League. Then it was high school fastpitch. Once I started my illustrious career, I was living in Newfoundland and all they had was slo-pitch.
    Fifteen years later, I played my first nationals. It was pretty cool.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is this a complaint?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Ah no ...

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I played second base when I was a kid. Never had the arm for short. Also never hit a home run in organized ball until I joined a softball league in my mid-20s. Hitting that first one out was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had playing sports.

Since I don't play that often these days, I usually end up wherever they need me -- 3B, 1B, RF.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Homers are fun. We were playing on short diamonds (250 feet) in the round-robin and I one-hopped the fence a couple of times. But those hits that are triples on our other diamonds (290) become singles on a 250 field. Bummer!

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

My sister and I grew up watching my dad play first in company leagues in our hometown.  Then his shoulder started bothering him one day, and they told him he couldn't play anymore (like, three years later when it was in so much pain he couldn't move it).  That was a sad day.  I loved going out to the ballpark to watch him and the guys from his company play.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone ever play or witness a 16-inch softball game? They play in Chicago, without gloves. Lots of beer, lots of jammed fingers and lots of fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted