1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no writer's wing of the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I have no problem calling it a foul pole.
    Nor do I calling them hall of fame writers. I do agree, though, that there should be no reference to the writers' wing.
    Carry on. :)

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Easiest way to reference it is to say, "BYH was the recipient of the Hall of Fame's Spink Award in 2009...."

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

Ditto. I find the fiction of this, particularly the way ESPN ginned up Gammons' selection as something akin to getting his own bronzed bas relief, unseemly at best.

All they get is a little plate on a plaque, like the one that goes on a bowling trophy.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Come on, there's one writer chosen per year. Who cares if it's a name written on an index card and then thumbtacked to the bulletin board, it's still a pretty impressive honor.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For many years, the rule on a ball hitting a foul pole was different. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it mattered where the ball bounced after hitting the pole. If if bounced foul,then it was foul and if it bounced fair, then it was fair. If it bounced in the stands in fair territory it was a homer, in foul territory a ground-rule double. The pole is an extension of the foul line, hence, foul pole.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Spink Award winners give a speech on the dais in the same ceremony as the regular inductees, just as the Ford C. Frick Award winners do. I think that's where the confusion comes from, not from any intentional and self-serving attempts to mislead by ESPN or anyone else.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Spink and Frick award winners are in a separate room "Mikemen and Scribes" in the Hall...on the first floor, up a short hallway from the players plaque room.
    And while they are not bronze plaques, they are individual plaques with photos and a little background on each writer.

It's certainly more than "a little plate on a plaque, like the one that goes on a bowling trophy."

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd take issue with capitalizing "Hall of Fame" when referring to writers. I might say Chass, Gammons, et al are "hall of fame-caliber." But I wouldn't capitalize or actually write language that inducts them when there is no writer's wing.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please define "writer's wing" for me.

There is a separate room than honors the Frick and Spinks award winners. That makes them part of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wait, you mean Tracy Ringolsby isn't next to Babe Ruth?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

He is very close to Murray Chass, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted