1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is a god

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, May 17, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sorry to threadjack.

It comes out to about a $4,500 loss per phone.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks Poin. Appreciate the math.

3. flanders

flanders Member

Yes, this launch has been about as successful as New Coke, and it's very been fun to trash them for this financial disaster. Business schools will study this for years to come on how NOT to launch a product --- wrong time of year, overpriced, misjudged target market, etc.

BUT, I will say, as an owner of the new phone --- the Samsung Ace -- who just got it for relative peanuts, the sports content absolutely rocks, it's fast as hell, and the special features are very cool. And I gotta say I like the new Reggie Bush commercial, the one where Bush is at his fantasy draft and guilts his buddy into taking him (Reggie) first in his so he can then steal Larry Johnson at #2. Using a top name athlete is a far better idea than using that greasy-haired douche outside Bristol trying to get in (although those commercials actually explained the phone a little better). And at least they switched from that god-awful Sanyo cinderblock to a razr-like Samsumg.

Was Mobile ESPN a good idea in the first place? No. They thought males who love sports would follow them over a cliff just because they're ESPN. Is the phone at least getting better from an aesthetic and marketing perspective? I think so. In other words, while I myself have wished them to just disappear throughout most of this, I have a feeling they'll at least show some life over the next year or so.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Shit, I forgot what the actual topic was for a bit.

After watching the Three Amigos piss all over each other for a full page, I kinda lost focus.

Draft saved Draft deleted