1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There HAD to be a better choice of words than this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Nov 12, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let me preface this by acknowledging we all screw up and that one time, when I was writing a column in college about my sister's recent car accident, an eagle-eyed editor noted there was probably a way to mention she was recovering well without using the phrase "road to recovery."

But still, read these consecutive graphs from the AP's Miami football sider today and tell me it's not cringe-inducing.

Four days after Miami lost senior defensive lineman Bryan Pata, who was shot and killed outside his apartment, the Hurricanes lost a football game -- 14-13 to No. 23 Maryland on Saturday.

It was Miami's third straight loss, one that dropped the team's record to 5-5 and put its shot of even going to a bowl game in further jeopardy. Yet things like postseason bids and won-lost records have been rendered meaningless, replaced by real-life issues.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yikes. That is bad. "Chance" or "opportunity" would have been much better selections than "shot."

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

While that may indeed be accurate, Columbo, I think you know what I meant.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very clever. Well done.

Now we just need to rhyme "real-life issues" with "he donated organs and tissue." :eek:

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Forget it, now I see the joke. Good stuff, Columbo.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It reads like the start of an Albom column...

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Hell, he wasn't even at that game.

Not that that would have stopped him.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did you see the book review section in Sunday's Podunk Bugle?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Actually no. An Albom column would have mentioned that Pata was at the game.

I'm going to hell for this post.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes. But it still was hilarious.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Once again, I clicked on one of these threads scared to death that I would find my own words staring back at me.

And now I can exhale.

Draft saved Draft deleted