1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There goes the neighborhood

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I live on a quiet culdesac in a fairly decent part of the metropolis. There are three police/sherrif people living on my street. I know two of them quite well and the other only in passing and saying hello.

Today, while driving home from picking up the kindergartner, a young woman was pinned up against a truck by a police officer as he was handcuffing her. She was about 16 and, understandably, crying.

Mom, the neighborhood police officer I don't know very well, was walking toward the other police officer with a pair of shoes and the girl started screaming "I hate you, mom! I hate you!" through the tears.

Mom was calm and not showing a lot of emotion. My gut instinct tells me mom turned her daughter in for some illegal activity -- I have no idea what kind.

Still, it freaked me out to see a young adult arrested on my street with her mother being involved in the arrest. I'm glad this cop isn't one to look the other way at her children's activities. But I have to admit I'm still trying to process it all in my mind.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm guessing drugs?

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That was my first guess, too. But we've had a few thefts from garages in the past few months. It could have been that.

But those kinds of thefts are often drug related.

I'm also guessing that after the police hauled her daughter away, mom went inside the house and started crying.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... there are certain suburbs we consider untouchable around here ... except two guys were shot in broad daylight yesterday ... just blocks away from where we were preparing turkey leftovers.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

There is no such thing as an untouchable neighborhood.

Up the road, amid the million dollar homes, a man murdered his wife by running her over as she walked along their street. Then he went on TV and tried to shift the blame on illegal immigrants doing day labor in the area.

His girlfriend turned him in saying she was with him when he bought a truck matching the description of the one that ran down his wife from behind.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Frightening.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My neighborhood has been quiet and nice ... up until last weekend when a guy down the street supposedly hung himself in his living room.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you have to explain anything to lil' Spudette?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought for sure a certain idiot moved into your neighborhood.

If that ever happens, Idaho, you and your family are always welcome here.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

whew. Just an arrest. For a minute I thought boots was back.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

He never left, dude.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. I meant dye.

Draft saved Draft deleted