1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are no words - parenting edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 19, 2015.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Absolutely - and I would usually say "hey, what's your kid like? Or have my kid -- the one going to the party - find out what he/she wants or likes."

Because you want to buy something they will appreciate.

That, however, is not "you WILL go to THIS store and BUY this and if you don't you WILL give me a receipt so I can go get something else...

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Just be grateful, people.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Your wife's mother is now my one of my heroes, and I have never even met her!!

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Goodwill. Salvation Army. Toys for Tots. No need to stuff the gifts in a closet forever.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, let's not go crazy. She disliked that daughter-in-law so much that, had the daughter-in-law been of opposite sensibilities, I think mother-in-law would have started typing up down-to-the-SKU wishlits!

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in what these parents named their spawn. I'll lay money they ruined his life by naming him Parkre or Jordynn or Chadd.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Of course I'll always be happy that so many people love my son and want to lavish him with gifts.

But, I view it as a courtesy to notify potential giftbuyers that certain things would be a waste of their money. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did you never have to grin and tell Grandma how much you love that plaid shirt?

You take the gift, return it (usually for full price regardless of what this biotch says) or re-gift it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a mall in Orange County, Calif., where people bring their dogs. Almost all the dogs are wearing sweaters (it's 72 degrees after all) and I saw a couple dogs being pushed in strollers. You'd love it, Zag.

bigpern23 and LongTimeListener like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And if it's a righteous party, an open bar for the adults.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I now feed people for a living. More than half are children in a summer camp environment. The number of kids whose parents declare them to have gluten-dairy-nut allergies is staggering.

I have seen most of them eating peanut butter cup ice cream cones.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would guess that at least 9 times out of 10 it's complete bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted