1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are no words - parenting edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 19, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So you served that half the Pixie Sticks and Mountain Dew, right?

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Healthy food birthday parties?

What the fuck, I am getting really old, I fear.

I thought the whole point of birthday parties was to get a bunch of kids all sugared up and pizzad up and caked up have them run around and be loud for a few hours and then leave a present and go home.

Am I wrong on this?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's funny with parties... Serving soda is the one thing I've never seen a parent do. There may be candy, cake and ice cream all over the place, but I don't think my kids have been to a party where they serve soda. It's always Gatorade or Caprisuns or Kool-Aid.

4. RecoveringJournalist

We've always served nachos or pizza with Gatorade.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are we talking birthday parties or attending MLB parks?

6. RecoveringJournalist

No, you're not. I don't think too many are "healthy" They all have cake and ice cream and something to drink. I think you see more bottled water and veggie or fruit trays than you would expect, but those are the ones the parents are packing up and taking home because no kid touched it.

7. zagoshe

I got to see another side of how things have changed in this world last Thursday when I ran to the mall because I need a new pair of shoes.

I NEVER go to the mall and haven't been to one in years but I had some time off and shoes are something I've been meaning to buy.

Good God - I think baby strollers are, like folding chairs, some sort of strange status symbol as they are getting bigger, more complex and more outrageous and apparently there must be some "mommy groups" or "play date" groups that meet at the mall because there were kids and seemingly overwhelmed young mothers all over the damn joint!!

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's your wife's chance to win her golden ticket! (Eat your heart out, Wonka kids.)

"'Cause I've got a Disney ticket
    I've got Mickey's twinkle in my eye ... "

9. RecoveringJournalist

Disney World is awesome and your kids will go nuts for it.

But go, because it's something you want to do, and not because you're being shamed into going.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Strollers are definitely a status symbol. My wife and I are expecting a girl in May and my in-laws all chipped in to buy us a ridiculously expensive stroller. They knew two of our friends have the same one. It's great, it's versatile and it rolls like a dream. And there's not a chance in hell I'd ever have bought it myself.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. zagoshe

Not to be "that fucking guy" but ....

I can think of no bigger rip off and waste of money than Disney.

It is not a fun vacation, it is an enormously expensive and way overpriced exhausting week of long lines, lots of bitching and moaning because of the heat and long lines and lots of trips to the food stand to buy way overpriced water bottles.

We did Disney once when the kids were younger and it was miserable.

The next year we went to the Outer Banks, which, was a little slow for my taste but at least it was a vacation where you actually felt a little rested and happy when you got back.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mazel tov, Pern!

bigpern23 and Songbird like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted