1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are 32 Thin Mint cookies in a box this year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Mar 7, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Grocery prices are up and I guess that means the cookie count goes down. Again.

Thirty-two Thin Mints in a box. I used to not be able to eat a sleeve without getting sick (not that I was proud of that, just that it was possible). But who can't polish off 16 of those things easy?

I can't tell if the box is smaller than last year, but those little sleeves have shrunk.

Honestly, I hate to not support the Girl Scouts, but cookies that size shouldn't cost over a dime each. They ought to just start putting Keebler Grasshoppers in new packaging.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I support the Girl Scouts but after about 5 boxes I reach my saturation point. Feel sorry declining them thereafter.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

One of my cousins is in the Scouts and hits me up every year. I only buy Tagalongs, and I wish they'd sell those year-round.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Man, just today I was thinking this. I was wolfing down a bunch and thinking: "Wow, there arent that many cookies in here. I could easily eat them all."

Not that I would. :)

I don't begrudge them the reduction of cookies. It's a fundraiser.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which makes the brilliance of it. They're sold in a short period of time, once a year, the same time. If they're sold year-round, or close to it, it'd be the NBA, where 90 percent of it is irrelevant and they would grow old and stale with mold on them.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This isn't new, they downsized a couple years ago and I noticed immediately. I once worked in a bureau as a preps guy and bought tons of Thin Mints from the downtown MLB beat writer's daughter. The interoffice mail courier thought I was nuts. Now I'll buy three boxes, tops. Yeah it's a fundraiser, ingredient costs have increased, etc., but c'mon.

Wow, I sound like a grumpy old man. Girl Scouts, get off my lawn!

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Keebler, one of the licensed makers of Girl Scout cookies, sells versions year-round under their own label. Grasshoppers = Thin Mints. They make a Tagalong, too, but I forget what it's called.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

First time I bought, I think a box was $2.50 or $3. They were $3.50 this year. My cousin said they might increase again next year.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's when you stick those suckers in a nice, cool room and casually break them out on a summer afternoon. Pass a box around the office.
    "Oh, you like the Thin Mints, do ya. Me too. Got five cases of 'em at the house. Tell ya what, I'll sell you a box for $10. Yeah it's pricey, but these babies won't be around again until the spring."
    Then you proceed to smack your lips with every bite and make exaggerated "mmmmm" noises.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I paid $4 a box this year. Maybe the Scouts here skim a little off the top for themselves; I could respect that.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The Girl Scouts should set up their stands outside medical marijuana shops in California and Colorado.

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Yeah, $4 here, too. I bought them from a woman at work and I realized yesterday I hadn't paid yet. Plus, my husband bought some at work, and one of us bought more from a Girl Scout who was going door to door. Looking at a $50 cookie bill is less than thrilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted